3 Speed Column Shift 68 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wpbronco

Reaction score
I never had any experience with a column shifter before and am looking at purchasing a 68 bronco with this setup. First question is the stupid one. What is the shift pattern? Is there any internet site showing the pattern?

2nd question is how hard is it to convert to a floor shift. The truck has the 6 cylinder engine.

admin1

Supreme Commander
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I used to have a bronco with the manual shifter on the column and it seems like the pattern was like this...

R 2

| |

++

| |

1 3

I know for sure that the floor shifter conversion use this pattern. They are easy to convert to a floor shifter, Hurst makes a good kit that can be installed in an afternoon.

Hope that helps

Bronco1978

Reaction score
Changing over to a floor shift isnt a bad idea,as parts for the 3 on the tree are getting harder to find (shift fingers,shift rods,shifting lever)although you can buy the shift tube,bushings and rod clips.If it works,you might want to leave it as is....if you speed shift or think column shifting is dorky,go to the floor unit,but dont cut up any more floor than needed (added noise,exhaust/engine smells...heat).

OP
OP
W

wpbronco

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Went and picked up my first bronco on Sunday. The three on the column shifts fine though I am having to get used to the clutch. So I guess for now I will stick with it where it is. Good points on the hole in the floor as I had not thought of the negatives. Many other things to do but the body is in real good shape with no "holy" rust. Hardly any modifications and still has original paint job (Sea Foam Green?).

I am sure I will have questions for the future since this is my first bronco.

Broncoholic

Broncoholic
Reaction score
I just bought my 70 in july it has the170ci and 3 on the tree also

its great to drive.

My only complaint are the air conditioned floors.

W

WADE

I have a 72 bronco roadster i built 3 years ago it had a colum 3 speed shifter,I switched it to a 3 speed floer shifter and what a world of diff. it is so fun to drive know it took me one day to put it in EASY, and cheep you dont have to by the one for the bronco just by a MR.goodwrench 3 speed shifter and tunnel cover and put it in you have to modify a few things but its simple GOOD LUCK!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bigd1948