2.9 leaking like a seive.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

stretch

Reaction score
Hey, update on my bronco, I got back home from college and checked it out, the radiator was low again, so I filled it up and the thing ran great for 45 minutes, so I cut it off and goofed off doing something else, I cranked it back up today and noticed the radiator was empty, so I got the hose and went to fill it up, and noticed that water was dripping down underneath it. So I crawled up under there and noticed that from the back of the block, right under the passenger side valve cover there's a perfectly round stream of water shooting out. I don't think it's a crack (But I've never seen a cracked block before) because it's too perfectly round shaped, and it's big enough that there's not a lot of pressure, it's just coming out almost like there's supposed to be something there to catch it. I haven't a clue what any of that means, so if anyone had an idea that would be awesome. I'm not opposed to pulling the motor, but if I didn't have to that would be awesome too. Anyway, any kind of help would be greatly appreciated.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
freeeeeeeze pluuuuuuuuuug

Also, garden hose water = big no-no. Distilled water only..otherwise you're going to, in lames terms, "rot the motor from the inside out"

OP
OP
S

stretch

Reaction score
Is there any special type of freeze plug I need to get? Also, thanks for the heads-up about distilled water. The only things I know about cars is what I figure out on my own and what my buddy can help me with. I love the bronco II's though, mine's got 280k on it, so I don't worry too much about the little stuff. Anyway, I'll try freeze plugs tomorrow and let y'all know, thanks!

AdamDude04

Reaction score
usually freeze plugs are a PITA to get to/fix. Hope ya get it though! They are interesting how they work..

and no problem. Glad I could teach ya something. It's easier/cheaper to just buy a few gallons of distilled water and fill up your radiator (with a lil pure green coolant for freeze/**** protection) than running hose water and having to replace a thermostat/waterpump/radiator/block down the road due to corrosion and such

OP
OP
S

stretch

Reaction score
Yeah, I'll get it eventually. Do you think it would be easier to pull the shifter out and go under the tunnel or just try to squirm around the trans from underneath? Or maybe pull off the valve covers and exhaust manifold? Any suggestions would be appreciated, I figure y'all would know the best way from experience.

Elmo

Reaction score
First you got to determine which plug it is thats leaking. May have to remove the starter to be able to see. Then figure a way to access the area to get the needed work done. Good luck as stated earlier freeze plugs are a PITA unless you pull the engine, then it is the pulling of the engine that becomes the PITA

OP
OP
S

stretch

Reaction score
Fixed the plug yesterday, took me almost a week of thinking off and on to get it. I would have had to pull the motor except I came up with an idea, I'll go ahead and post it for anyone who might be crazy enough to try it. I took a drill and drilled a small (1/4 inch) hole in the firewall directly behind the plug, then I used a screwdriver from inside the cab to pop the plug out. It worked for me, and I didn't have to pull the motor so I'm happy. Perhaps not the best idea, but I did't want to pull the motor.

AdamDude04

Reaction score
Fixed the plug yesterday, took me almost a week of thinking off and on to get it. I would have had to pull the motor except I came up with an idea, I'll go ahead and post it for anyone who might be crazy enough to try it. I took a drill and drilled a small (1/4 inch) hole in the firewall directly behind the plug, then I used a screwdriver from inside the cab to pop the plug out. It worked for me, and I didn't have to pull the motor so I'm happy. Perhaps not the best idea, but I did't want to pull the motor.
Brilliant idea! Not too many people are inclinded to drill a hole..however I assume that hole is in an area no one will ever see unless looking for spare change for the toll booth!

Because you like to cut into your truck.. this may help you (I'm doing the same as well), cut out a 1'x1' square hole right above your fuel pump in the cargo area. Fab up a way to make the metal square reusable so it can seal back in place (don't want dirty rain water/road grime just floating up). This way if you ever need to test the fuel pump, or replace it, much easier to get to than dropping a heavy fuel tank! :ph34r: /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sufferedformula