1984 4x4 Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gatorhunter

Reaction score
a young kid owed me some money so he gave me a 1984 4x4 351W 2bbl with a fresh 3" body lift and a 6" suspension lift with fresh 35" BF Mud Terrains. He said he it had a fuel issue. He said he put the lift kit and tires on and hit the mud hole down the street and it died. This was about 2 months ago. i friend of mine was there when it happened and said it ran great until he hit the mud. When I got her home I found that he had replaced the fuel pump, filter and regulator along with the starter, distributor with ignition module, rotor and ignition coil and starter solenoid. The ignition coils and starter solenoid were not attached to anything. It was getting fuel but no spark. I secured the coil and solenoid and still no spark. I took the coil out of my 1991 Eddie Bauer 25th Silver Anniversary Bronco (which runs great) and put it in and still no spark. I started looking at the ignition and chassis wires and found some bare and it looked like someone made a bunch of splices. I fooled around with it for a bit and got spark. I have yet to get it to fire but it turns and I have spark. I haven't tried it yet because I am not confident in the wiring. I referenced my Haynes wiring diagram which is extremely vague. This vehicle is going to my hunting camp to stay and I want it to be as simple as possible. I want to eliminate all of the emissions crap and any unnecessary wiring. Any suggestions? What can i eliminate? Where can I find a more detailed wiring diagram?

Broncobill78

Reaction score
a young kid owed me some money so he gave me a 1984 4x4 351W 2bbl with a fresh 3" body lift and a 6" suspension lift with fresh 35" BF Mud Terrains. He said he it had a fuel issue. He said he put the lift kit and tires on and hit the mud hole down the street and it died. This was about 2 months ago. i friend of mine was there when it happened and said it ran great until he hit the mud. When I got her home I found that he had replaced the fuel pump, filter and regulator along with the starter, distributor with ignition module, rotor and ignition coil and starter solenoid. The ignition coils and starter solenoid were not attached to anything. It was getting fuel but no spark. I secured the coil and solenoid and still no spark. I took the coil out of my 1991 Eddie Bauer 25th Silver Anniversary Bronco (which runs great) and put it in and still no spark. I started looking at the ignition and chassis wires and found some bare and it looked like someone made a bunch of splices. I fooled around with it for a bit and got spark. I have yet to get it to fire but it turns and I have spark. I haven't tried it yet because I am not confident in the wiring. I referenced my Haynes wiring diagram which is extremely vague. This vehicle is going to my hunting camp to stay and I want it to be as simple as possible. I want to eliminate all of the emissions crap and any unnecessary wiring. Any suggestions? What can i eliminate? Where can I find a more detailed wiring diagram?
Helm Inc. is the company that publishes all of the factory manuals for most automakers. I make it a habit to get a set for every vehicle I plan on keeping for any length of time or doing any serious work to. I used to have the wiring guide for my 78/79 and it was about 100 pages with each & every wire that Ford ran in it. I lost it over the course of several moves and haven't yet picked up a set for my 88' but if you're looking for good wire diagrams you won't find anything better than the stuff the dealership mechanics use. You can probably find one on Ebay but just be sure to verify with the seller that it's one published by Helm.

Here's a link to Helm:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r...anual&hl=en

Here's a couple of links to Ebay auctions. No 84's but there's an 86' and an 80', gives you an idea of what they are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-FORD-BRONCO-WIRIN...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Ford-B...sspagenameZWD1V

Blue beast

Reaction score
Autozone.com has wiring and vac diagrams online for free!! Be sure to put some Stabil in that fuel tank NOW!! 90 days and fuel starts getting real nasty

and you will have trouble with that if you don't already. I would triple dose for the full tank with sta-bil and put 2 bottles of heet and 2 bottles of iso heet

if it is sitting with less than a full tank it is gathering condensation and the water will eventually cause problems!! The same goes for the hunting camp

use, triple dose Sta bil and gas line dryer and keep a ful tank in it.

Seabronc

Reaction score
The 84 351 will run with most everything pulled off it. However, if you are going to be running in a cold climate, then I suggest you leave the portion that controls the temperature of the intake and the heat riser function. It will give you a lot better start and run characteristics especially in cold weather. You should be able to find a diagram on your right front radiator supportAttached is the vacuum system I have installed.

When removing the air pump system, you can either plug off the back air pipe or remove it and plug the holes where it injected air into the heads. It is easier to leave the air pipe on the back of the engine and just plug it off at the check valve. If removing the bowl vent lines, cap it off but leave the the tank vent into the carbon canister. That allows the gas tank to breath. You will see that part on my diagram (black lines).

Good luck,

:)>-

Rosies_Vacuum_System.JPG

OP
OP
G

gatorhunter

Reaction score
Helm Inc. is the company that publishes all of the factory manuals for most automakers. I make it a habit to get a set for every vehicle I plan on keeping for any length of time or doing any serious work to. I used to have the wiring guide for my 78/79 and it was about 100 pages with each & every wire that Ford ran in it. I lost it over the course of several moves and haven't yet picked up a set for my 88' but if you're looking for good wire diagrams you won't find anything better than the stuff the dealership mechanics use. You can probably find one on Ebay but just be sure to verify with the seller that it's one published by Helm.
Here's a link to Helm:

http://www.helminc.com/helm/homepage.asp?r...anual&hl=en

Here's a couple of links to Ebay auctions. No 84's but there's an 86' and an 80', gives you an idea of what they are:

http://cgi.ebay.com/1986-FORD-BRONCO-WIRIN...VQQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1980-Ford-B...sspagenameZWD1V
Thanks a bunch!

OP
OP
G

gatorhunter

Reaction score
Autozone.com has wiring and vac diagrams online for free!! Be sure to put some Stabil in that fuel tank NOW!! 90 days and fuel starts getting real nastyand you will have trouble with that if you don't already. I would triple dose for the full tank with sta-bil and put 2 bottles of heet and 2 bottles of iso heet

if it is sitting with less than a full tank it is gathering condensation and the water will eventually cause problems!! The same goes for the hunting camp

use, triple dose Sta bil and gas line dryer and keep a ful tank in it.

Thanks a lot! I will look there!

OP
OP
G

gatorhunter

Reaction score
The 84 351 will run with most everything pulled off it. However, if you are going to be running in a cold climate, then I suggest you leave the portion that controls the temperature of the intake and the heat riser function. It will give you a lot better start and run characteristics especially in cold weather. You should be able to find a diagram on your right front radiator supportAttached is the vacuum system I have installed.
When removing the air pump system, you can either plug off the back air pipe or remove it and plug the holes where it injected air into the heads. It is easier to leave the air pipe on the back of the engine and just plug it off at the check valve. If removing the bowl vent lines, cap it off but leave the the tank vent into the carbon canister. That allows the gas tank to breath. You will see that part on my diagram (black lines).

Good luck,

Hunting camp is in Florida..warm weather - It is more of a place to take my boys to go mess around with a little hunting (deer in FL very small - I hunt in GA and KY mostly). Thanks for the diagram.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Hunting camp is in Florida..warm weather - It is more of a place to take my boys to go mess around with a little hunting (deer in FL very small - I hunt in GA and KY mostly). Thanks for the diagram.
Then all you need to leave on is the spark advance line.

Good luck,

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23