1972 Ford Bronco... should I buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

genthree

Reaction score
Yeah, you gotta weld, or know someone who does.  Check out your local community college for a welding class and get yourself a cheap wirefeed unit from harbor freight....  Welding is a blast.  I didn't know how before I started on the project, but my guys in the shop (I'm a plant manager) spent some time with me to teach me how.  You will want to know later anyway when you build your roll bar :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

OP
OP
W

Willwll313wl

Reaction score
Update:

So I'm finally back from Florida! 

Went to check it out a few hours ago and the guy actually is built/restored multiple early Broncos in his days. He purchased this one from an estate sale. He said he paid $5500 for it with the intention of fixing it up but do to a situation, it would be sitting for at least a nothing 8-9 months before he would even start on it...

So After further inspection, it appears to be in a lot better condition than what the photos had me believing. The interior and floor boards seems to be the biggest issues. I can tell that the truck didnt just sit around for the last 40 years. It looks as if the previous owner kept it drivable at the very least. The only rust I found on it is the grill, hood, bad floor pans, spots on the removable top, and very bottom of rocker panels (can't see it unless you're under the vehicle). Interior wise, nothing on the speedometer seems to work, seats are trash, windshield is cracked, missing door panel, bad weather sealing (im sure it leaks in places and brings in wind noise), and the owner installed a wood floor board running from the back up to the seats. He says he checked it out and made sure it isnt rusted underneath and says he found nothing but I couldnt get a good look. No brakes what so ever. Says needs ***** cylinders all around and new shoes so I didnt get to drive it anywhere.

Starts right up, but I can tell it has some bad gas. Previous owner claims to have installed crate motor with 20k miles. Sounds pretty good, still the old 302 from what I can tell. 

Also the doors arent flush with the quarter panels when closed all the way. Only towards the bottom of the doors though. I don't know what that is but I'm sure its a easy fix. Smells like dog **** inside as well... 

Talked him down to a lower price, I expect to take possession of it this weekend at the latest.That is if I don't change my mind about it. What do you guys think?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder"   ^_^ /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> 

I've referbished a few that were as you're describing. It's all doable & all the parts/accesories are available.

I enjoyed every minute of it.., even the busted knuckle skin... :glare:  

There's a risk as to the drive train.., trannie, transf, diffs' etc. but again, all doable if needed.

Brakes can be long drawn out but work perfect when done right.

Enjoy the ride..!

Bob

OP
OP
W

Willwll313wl

Reaction score
Will---  Where are you??  What did you do??  I am dying here!!!!  

Come on!!! 
Haha!! Well we made a deal for 5200... and then he had to get a new title and in South Dakota it can take up to a month to get a new title which is crazy because back home in Detroit, you can pay like $20 to get a brand new title on the spot so he said I could take the truck now and wait for the title or just wait till he got back from surgery (by then he would have the title) soooo yeah I'm waiting. Haven't talked to him since that day so its a possibility that the deal is off but I've been looking at other ones just in case.

Like these two http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/4671506163.html http://cosprings.craigslist.org/cto/4637272230.html

The second one, the guy doesn't want to take my check because he doesnt want to deal with the taxes haha which is understandable but he's been thinking about it... What do you think of them?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
As usual, it's hard to tell from pics.., & W/O taking a drive.

For me.., the price is a bit steep but then, I already have one.

The grill & fender are actually saveable with some metal work.

There's lots of rust removal/treatment needed on the body & eng. compartment.

I'm guessing if you buy at that price.., put 5K into it.., it would be worth 10-12K

That's doable...

OP
OP
W

Willwll313wl

Reaction score
As usual, it's hard to tell from pics.., & W/O taking a drive.

For me.., the price is a bit steep but then, I already have one.

The grill & fender are actually saveable with some metal work.

There's lots of rust removal/treatment needed on the body & eng. compartment.

I'm guessing if you buy at that price.., put 5K into it.., it would be worth 10-12K

That's doable...
Thank you! Im going to pass on it, and all around stop looking for Broncos. I don't thinkI 'm ready right now but I appreciate all of you guys who commented! I'll be back!

OP
OP
W

Willwll313wl

Reaction score
Guess who's buying a Bronco today?... Pictures and details coming tomorrow. 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnK