302 Swap Is Coming!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96ranger

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have been discussing with different mechanics about a 302 swap into my 1996 Ford Ranger. Now, it isn't going to get any special heads, or performance parts (for now at least). I would just like to get the engine into running order again. Well, it does run, but it sat unused for about 3 years, and when it was started up (which it started up fairly easily) the gaskets and seals that were then bone-dry began to leak. Now, like I said, it runs, but I want to get those gaskets/seals replaced. Eventually I would rebuild the motor. Of course, I may, after pulling it out, go ahead and rebuild it then. I am going to use the tranny that will come with it. This is all out of a 1979 LTD, and I am told that it will all drop in, with special mounts of course, and a custom exhaust. I am going to keep everything simple, so I am going to keep it carb'd. Basically, I am still in the planning stages, but it is coming together. If anyone knows of someone who has tried to and suceeded in this swap or if they failed, or if you know anything about it, please let me know what you know. I am very serious about getting this done, and I think I will be able to comfortably fund this. Thankyou for your help.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hello Yes I have done this and it was a learning experience to say the least . My bronco 2 had a 4 inch suspension lift and 3 inch body lift . Heres what you need to do to make it the easiest . If you want to keep it 4x4 you have to buy a kit from advance adapters or james duff carries them now that consists of a new main shaft for the 2 wheel drive c4 that you have and an adapter housing that mates it to the bronco 2 transfercase which is very stout and shifts nice and is also light . That kit runs right around $500 but its kinda worth it they have 3 different lengths depending on what tranny you had to start with . That is important or you will be messing with driveshaft lengths . I also bought there motor mounts which were nice and heavy duty but kinda expensive and when I got em they had a ford part number on them so might have been able to get em cheaper . An oil pan from a fox body car such as mustang or LSC is desirable . YOu must also get an oil filter relocator kit as there isnt much room for it by the steering geer box and im not goona say that you have to but it is way easier to put an electric fuel pump on it which you may be able to use your pump that you already have in the tank if you put a regulator on the line and knock the pressure down to around 4 to 7 lbs. A radiator from an explorer 4.0 will work nicely and I put a black magic 2800 cfm electric fan behind mine and it worked very well . I sqeezed a 351W into mine when i did it and it was ALOT of fun . As for the exhaust I do not recomend advance adapters slick fit headers mayjor waste of money way too expensive for what you get . I went with the james duff headers that are full length and fit very nicely . I also tried a set from headman and there ok if you want to go that way . You should also loose the air conditioning if you dont need it and replace the blower motor housing with one outta a ranger or bronco 2 not sure if explorer is the same but find one that didnt have air as the box is way smaller and makes more room for the motor . As for axles if your truck has the ford 7.5 in the rear save yourself alot of agravation form cleaning 90weight outta the brakes and replace it with a ford 8.8 outta an explorer or any ranger or bronco 2 that came from the factory with a 4.0 . The little dana 28 TTB up front held up well with the 351W suprisingly and it never ever broke. I also used a full size bronco drive shaft in the rear cause the bronco 2 drive shaft U joints are just way too small to handle the load . Your into a big project but there alot of fun when done . The headers advance adapter headers mentioned above were used with the 351W but the other 2 were used with a 302 which is what it has in it now I just couldnt get the exhaust to run the way i wanted it to so I went with smaller lighter engine a 5.0 outta an LSC with forged pistion, motor sport svo heads and nitrous he he yep nitrous on a bronco 2 ( permagrin ) :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Well if you have any other questions ill be happy to help ya out .

OP
OP

96ranger

Reaction score
Thanks for your wealth of info, that does help quite a bit. I am starting to save up for an engine rebuild, and am trying to find a good tranny shop to help me with the 3-speed auto that I am getting. I'd like to have a 4-speed, but I figure I can just put a higher gear ratio in the rear-end to keep from blowing the motor when I am taking it to 60+. I am now realizing the size and time of this project, but that has only motivated me to get it done, and get it done right. Thanks again.

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
if you are on a budget the manifolds off a 70's 302 truck will work the pass side will exit straight back,i got a radiator out of an 302 maverick,make sure the outlets match for hoses,i used regular truck mounts and moved the frame mounting point back will some 3/8 plate.and drilled a new hole in it.if you don't do a body lift you will hate yourself so go ahead and do 3 inches and buy some new body bushings too,make sure the body lift you buy comes with a piece to extend your steering shaft.make sure when you buy the oilfilter relocation kit that the piece that screws to the block has the exits out the side and not the face of it,it's real tight in there you'll see.

like blade said get rid of the 7.5 if you have it,they don't last long at all.I was lucky enuff to get axles from an early bronco and it's a 9 inch.

shop around,get every part you'll need,plan it out and get some help it's not hard just alot of things have to be done.you could do the body lift way before the motor swap!!

check out fordranger.com too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boone_23