Speedometer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJ94F

Reaction score
Ok so this one has been killing me for the past year I have owned the truck. The previous owner replaced the stock 8.8" with an older F-Series 9". I got the stronger rear, but am stuck with no speedometer. I have looked everywhere, I know someone out there has dealt with this before. I really don't want to swap out my gauges to convert to cable driven (I'm not even sure wheteher or not my tranny has provisions for that), but either way I am just trying to look for the simplest. The cops around here really don't like that it doesn't work! Does anyone out there have the solution for this?

Thanks in advance

Roadkill

Reaction score
I don't know if Yardape was joking or serious, but for around $100 you can get a GPS that will give you, very acurately, all the information on a speedometer (i.e. speed, distance traveled). You won't find one with maps and all the other bells and whistles for that price, but if your truck runs normally without a speed sensor, that could be the simplest option for you. (You gave no information other than the axle, and some later models depend on speed sensor to tell the computer how to shift gears, operate the ABS and manage engine functions)

OP
OP
C

CJ94F

Reaction score
Yea I do have the ABS light on, but the 9" axle doesn't have ABS anyways. Good point though, I never thought of that. It has also had a pretty rough idle since I got it, but I'm not sure if the speed sensor could cause it at idle. As for shift points, It has a 5 speed, and the 4.9 i-6 motor. I was just hoping to get my speedo working, it just really bugs me. I think my transmission has a spot for a speedo cable, Does anyone know if Ford ever had a speed sensor that plugged in there, that would be compatible? And could that be causing my rough idle? Thanks for all the input. By the way, it's a '94.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lump1713

Reaction score
I have the same problem with my truck. I have no speedometer i have to shift into neutral and back into drive when i stop at a light or something. My mileage doesn't move either. the rear abs light is on too. i replaced the rear abs sensor in the differential twice and still no go. Next thing i'm gonna try is the abs module behind the glove box. [-o< after that might be replacing a tranny if nobody ELSE has any ideas. i have the E4OD also. :angry:

Yardape

Reaction score
Oh I missed that, sorry. Thought you were confusing the GPS with ABS.

Roadkill

Reaction score
Yea I do have the ABS light on, but the 9" axle doesn't have ABS anyways. Good point though, I never thought of that. It has also had a pretty rough idle since I got it, but I'm not sure if the speed sensor could cause it at idle. As for shift points, It has a 5 speed, and the 4.9 i-6 motor. I was just hoping to get my speedo working, it just really bugs me. I think my transmission has a spot for a speedo cable, Does anyone know if Ford ever had a speed sensor that plugged in there, that would be compatible? And could that be causing my rough idle? Thanks for all the input. By the way, it's a '94.
I dont think the missing speed sensor is effecting your idle. As far as the speedo adapter on the transmission, I have no knowledge (Before buying my Bronco 3 yrs ago, the last Ford I owned was a '76 Pinto). I'm sure someone else here probably does know the answer.

By the way, Welcome to BroncoZone. If you use the "My Controls" link up above, you can add a signature with all your Bronco's information to the bottom of your posts. That will help you get more specific answers about your truck. (you can also use it to brag about all your cool mods if you have any)

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The rear sensor is for the ABS if you unplug it the ABS light will come on immediately . The sensor for the speedometer is in the tranny if its an automatic . That sensor is very important because it does affect shifting its signal goes too a PSOM programable speedometer odometer module mounted behind the dash to the left of the glovebox . That signal is also run to the EEC which controls the shifting . On a manual transmission Im not sure where that speed sensor is they may use the rear one double duty . In a post of mine way back I listed a link to a place that was making a bracket and a special yoke for the T Case to mount a speed sensor there just for that reason . Ill have to look to see if I can find the link . All the trucks from 92 up have no speedometer cable there all electric . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

shuagriz

Reaction score
My Bronco's tranny shifts like crap and it dies every once in a while at stop lights. Could my non working speedometer be the reason?

Yardape

Reaction score
My Bronco's tranny shifts like crap and it dies every once in a while at stop lights. Could my non working speedometer be the reason?
Wouldn't say so, the '90 still uses a cable. If you want it to work, the easiest way I have found is to remove the intrument panel, locate the speedo cable and go for a drive. Watch the small cable inside the cable to see if it is spinning, if it is then the problem is with the speedo itself, if it does not turn then you can move down to the transfer case, locate where the cable enters the t-case. (drivers side, top rear of t-case) it is held in place with a small 10mm or 8mm nut and a retaining clip. Remove this, make sure no crud is going to fall in the hole, and pull the cable from the t-case. Inspect the gear on the cable. If it is fine spin the gear while someone is watching the other end inside the truck, this will tell you if the cable is broken or not.

OP
OP
C

CJ94F

Reaction score
BLADE262US, Thank you very much for the idea. I searched through your old posts for the info on that relcation kit, and I'm gonna give them a call ASAP to get more info and a price on the kit. That was almost 3 years ago, hope they still offer it! By the way, I got the info out of that post in case anyone else needs it at the moment. The place is Curt LeDucs raceshop and the number is 1-909-845-8820. From what I understood from the article online, they mount the sensor on one of the T-Case bolts near the yoke, and actually cut splines, or some sort of grooves, in the yoke to trigger the VSS. Or at least that's what I understood. Hope it's not too much money, but I think it would have to be custom made for a particular setup though, because wouldn't it be off due to the driveshaft spinning (axle ratio) times faster than the tires? Anyways, just thought I would let everyone know I got a solution, hopefully this can help someone else too.

shuagriz

Reaction score
Yea I kind of figured it wouldn't make a difference since its cable. O well I think the tranny might be going. Thanks for the info though

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo