Removing Body Mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EvlFaust

Reaction score
I have a 95 Bronco and I just purchased some Energy Suspension body mounts to replace my old cracked ones. I notice that the lower part of the mounts are pressed into the frame. Does anyone have any tricks to get these out easily. Energy suspension provided some directions for making a simple puller, but the way the frame sits makes it hard for the rear body mounts.

So any ideas?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
A cutoff wheel will work its a bit stinky but really no other option maybe sawzall . They way there make when they are tightened up the first time they lock together after they get rusty they really dont come back apart . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The body mount bushings (rubber) are held on by an upper and a lower metal sleeve that goes through the frame. As Blade stated, it's often very hard to separate them, since they are pressed together. The lower sleeve has a small "lip" that helps keep it in place. One way to separate them (other than cutting apart) is to remove the long bolt, then thread it back in about 1/2" into the lower washer-nut-sleeve assembly. Use a punch and large hammer to knock the lower sleeve down and apart from the upper. USe alot of penetrating oil, and the biggest hammer/sledge you can handle. You may damage the threads on the bolt or the nut, but you may be able to re-tap them. I buggered up two bolts out of eight. If you have a bushing knocker set, that may work, too.

The front mounts under the radiator core support are different in that the bolt threads into the sleeves. These are more often rusted together, and cannot be hammered apart. I removed one by cutting away the rubber, and grabbing the upper sleeve with large Vise-grip pliers while turning the bolt. The other had to be cut off with a torch.

I replaced my body bushings with poly's from Daystar. I do have pics of the mounts and bushings at superford.org, JSM84

OP
OP
E

EvlFaust

Reaction score
Thanks for the information. Luckily for me it wasn't as ******* my truck as it was for you guys. The front ones came right out, since they weren't pressed together. The second and third position I made the "puller" that energy suspension recommended. It envolved a three inch wide pipe some washers and threading the bolt in from the underside. I couple of quite blasts from my impact and they popped right off. The fourth and fifth position I couldn't get the "puller" to the mounts because of space constraints. So I did like justshootme84 suggested. I tooke out the long rear bolts and threaded them in a bit into the mount and then pounded away with a 2lb sledge. The seemed to pop apart with very little effort.

Thanks again for your suggestions.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo