Fuel filter keeps flooding

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Broncoforlife

Reaction score
I have a 1983 ford bronco with the 351 winsdor and holley carb.

For some reason i dont know why.. my fuel filter keeps flooding and i loose power when it does, i have to take it off, and drain it every.. 5 minutes or so.. does anyone know whats wrong with it?

OP
OP
B

Broncoforlife

Reaction score
you know the little plastic filter that is right before the carb?

it fills up, and i loose power, i empty it, and im fine for about 5 minutes until it fills up again.

i think their is either a block in my carb or just too much fuel is coming in.

Seabronc

Reaction score
With a Holley carb, you are probably overfilling the float bowl, which in turn is overflowing into the carb and drowning our your engine. Emptying the fuel filter allows the bowl to empty out before the pump catches up with it and over fills the bowl again. It is most likely the float valve being stuck open or you have some other major problem in the metering system. You can remove the valve and replace it with a new one. You will find a ***** on top of the float tank with a nut on it, see the attached picture. It is a Holly 4160 4BBL with two float thank, one front one back. On the top of it you see two brass screws with nuts under them, that is where the valves are contained that are actuated by the tank floats, (if you have a 2BBL then there is only one of each). On the side of the tanks you will see another brass ****** that covers the sight hole. When the valve is properly adjusted the fuel level should be just at the bottom of this hole. If fuel comes out the hole when this ***** is removed, the float is adjusted too high or he valve is sticking open.

That is not a detailed procedure, just to get you in the ball park.

It is impossible to overflow a filter.

Good luck,

:)>-

carb1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

Broncoforlife

Reaction score
Does anyone have a step-by-step valve replacement diagram?

or do they just slip in the hol that the brass ***** is?

Yardape

Reaction score
Try what seabronc said, if you goto the holley site you should be able to find some sort of an online manual to set the floats. The floats are like whats in your toilet, if its set too high you will get to much water, may even overflow. The floats are what regulates how much fuel is allowed into the float bowl. If you remove the brass screws on the side of the float bowl, you want the fuel level to be just under the hole, if it leaks out then the floats have to be lowered and vice versa. the float adjustment are the Brass screws with lock nuts ontop of the float bowl. For detailed instructions I'd advise getting a manual.

Seabronc

Reaction score
Is it an easy pocedure to take out the valve? How much will a new on cost me you think?
A couple of bucks and are available at most any auto stores that handle carbs, like Auto Zone or Advance, etc.

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke