66-96 Ford Broncos - Early & Full Size
Sign in to follow this  
badgurl55

steering box adjustment

I have a 85 Full Size Bronco that has had bushing and all kinds of #$%^ put in the front end but the steering is extremely sloppy. Can I make an adjustment to the steering box w/o screwing it up (or chewing it up) myself ?

No .. they don't float like my boat

post-6852-1168643497_thumb.jpg

post-6852-1168643534_thumb.jpg

Edited by badgurl55

NO!!!!!!!!! Dont touch that screw its evil. Thats not an adjustment screw, its set up for preload only.

Our trucks are blessed with that problem and theres nothing really we can do, if all your parts are good, tie rod ends, drag link, ball joints, bearings, etc... then unfortunately you need a new steering box.

Once again, Yardape is right. Whatever you do, dont touch that screw.

doesn't he make you want to hurl...j/k yardape by the way that american beer i was drinking was really good. poured some out for you at the bar. the bar back was pretty pissed but everyone else enjoyed it.

You got to love that screw if you know what to do with it!!!!! Yes it's A preload adjustment and drasticly will inprove handling if properly adjusted. But also be aware of steering components above the gear. ei. "rag" joints,colunm bearings & other joint connections.

Why would you say something like that on here? Someone is going to adjust it and seriously hurt themselves, I bow to your vast knowledge but people do not touch this screw, it will not improve handling, it could get you killed

hmmm ok i adjusted mine and it made my steering tighter for a whille it's now loose again so i will have to get a new ps box. just use some common sense when adjusting it. too tight and the steering will bind when turing past the straight away position. just do 1/8 to 1/4 turns at a time on the screw and drive the truck in a empty parkin lot to see results. make sure its warmed up so the gears have allready expanded from the heat. readjusting is just a "temp fix" it bought me 15-20k miles more of driving. :unsure:

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this