Werewolf Of Bronco

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRONCO JIM

Reaction score
:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> BEFORE I START TO DISMANTLE THINGS,MY HORSE IS GETTING A LOUD HOWL WHEN DRIVING. ITS COMMING FROM THE REAR END,AND HAPPENS ONLY WHEN I M GIVING IT GAS. IF I LET OFF THE PEDAL,HOWLING STOPS. PUT A JUG OF LUCAS IN REAR END,AND UNIVERSAL JOINTS SEEM TIGHT. ANYONE EVER HAVE THIS PROBLEM ? DON T WANT TO PULL AXELS IFIN I DON T HAVE TOO,BUT DON T WANT DAMAGE IF I CAN FIX THINGS BEFORECOULD IT BE THE DRIVESHAFT?HELP !

zakcode

Reaction score
i dont know enough about rearends and it sounds like a rearend prob.swing it by a reputable shop and see if they could take it for a test spin and help you out.they might surprise you and tell you how to fix it in hopes of future business.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Jim,

Hate to say it, but from your brief description, it sounds like you either have a bad pinion bearing, or you may have lost all carrier bearing pre-load in your diff, allowing your gears to come out of mesh under acceleration. Either way, I recommend taking the time to dis-mantle and inspect it before it gernades.

I have seen a bad pinion angle cause a "howl" before, but it was only under extremely hard acceleration.(Always accompanied by a vibration)

Has the noise been gradually getting worse, or did it start all of a sudden?

Have you done any work to the springs or diff/ drive shaft recently?

Can you make the noise increase or decrease by weaving as you drive?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BRONCO JIM

Reaction score
:p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I HAVE AUTO TRANS. ADDED EXTRA LEAF SPRING 3 YEARS AGO. NO DIFF. WORK DONE. HOWL STARTS AT ABOUT 25 MPH AND GETS STRONGER THE FASTER I GO.NOT LOUDER,BUT MORE INTENSE. THERE IS NO VIBRATION,AND IT DOESN T SEEM TO BE GETTING WORSE. WEAVING DOESN T CHANGE HOWL. KIND OF SOUNDS LIKE A HAIRDRYEROR A VACCUME CLEANER,AND THE NOISE GOES UP AND DOWN AS SPEED GOES UP AND DOWN THE MORE LOAD,THE MORE INTENSE.WHADDA YA THINK ????

OP
OP
B

BRONCO JIM

Reaction score
:p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I HAVE AUTO TRANS. ADDED EXTRA LEAF SPRING 3 YEARS AGO. NO DIFF. WORK DONE. HOWL STARTS AT ABOUT 25 MPH AND GETS STRONGER THE FASTER I GO.NOT LOUDER,BUT MORE INTENSE. THERE IS NO VIBRATION,AND IT DOESN T SEEM TO BE GETTING WORSE. WEAVING DOESN T CHANGE HOWL. KIND OF SOUNDS LIKE A HAIRDRYEROR A VACCUME CLEANER,AND THE NOISE GOES UP AND DOWN AS SPEED GOES UP AND DOWN THE MORE LOAD,THE MORE INTENSE.WHADDA YA THINK ????

OP
OP
B

BRONCO JIM

Reaction score

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Jim,

I'm gonna stick with the bad pinion bearing scenario... sorry.

An the other one (carrier bearings) is a bit of mis information... sorry, gotta stop posting late night after the Flames playoff games!!

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Check the rear wheel bearings. I had the same problem and tried weaving back and forth while driving which normally tells if its a wheel bearing or not. Well no sound change so I figured it was the rearend. I figured I'd take the 3rd member to a shop. First I took out the axle shafts and found that the ball bearings were falling out onto the ground! Wow! Replaced them and it fixed the howl. B)

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Good call Eric...

I too had one that had a bad axle bearing, only made noise at cruising speeds (60 plus) noise went away with decel/ braking at speed.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
My two cents. If you had to add a jug of oil the dammage to the rear end was already done. sounds like you should get it rebuilt, change it from a junker, or rebuild it yourself. Pay attention to doing the preload adjustment properly. Bearings could also be worn. Take it apart and check the whole thing including wheel bearings. If you keep driving it, it won't get better and may leave you stranded someplace.

Good luck, :)>-

OP
OP
B

BRONCO JIM

Reaction score
:D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

THANKS GUYS,WILL PULL REAR AXELS AND IF BEARINGS LOOK OK,THEN IT HAS TO BE THE PINION GEAR.GUESS I LL START SCOUTING AROUND FOR A NEW (USED) REAR END. ANYONE HAVE ONE LAYING AROUND ?uh oh hope the caps lady don t come down on me again !!!. BJ