NEED HELP WITH MY AUTOMATIC 4X4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

germanlove

Reaction score
I GOT A 90 BRONCO.. HAS AUTOMATIC PUSH BUTTON 4BY.... I TRY TO SHIFT TO 4BY .. THE LIGHT ON THE DASH LIGHTS UP... THE TRANSMISSION SEEMS TO BE IN 4BY.. AND EVEN WHEN I PUT IN 4 LO.. THE TRANNY STARTS SHIFTING DIFFERENT LIKE IT SHOULD.. BUT THE FRONT TIRES WONT ENGAGE... DO YOU THINK THIS COULD BE A HUB PROBLEM OR IS IT THE TRANSFER CASE.. MAYBE THE MOTOR BEHIND THE TRANSFER CASE?.. BUT THAT MOTOR SEEMS TO WORK.. YOU CAN HEAR IT GOING IN AND OUT WHEN THE KEY IS ON AND AND YOU PRESS THE BUTTONS... ANY SUGGESTIONS?? THANKS

OP
OP
G

germanlove

Reaction score
Are you engaging while in neutral?
yes i am engaging to lo4 while in neutral.. then i try either way ...still the same

i was also wondering if the hose thats coming out of the front diffriential.. looks like a air hose.. .. is that important?

also is the one coming out of the transfer case that has a plug on it.. is that important? thanks

Roadkill

Reaction score
i was also wondering if the hose thats coming out of the front diffriential.. looks like a air hose.. .. is that important?also is the one coming out of the transfer case that has a plug on it.. is that important? thanks
That hose is a vent for the diff housing. As the oil heats up, it expands and causes a buildup of pressure. The vent allows air to escape and prevents things like blown axle seals. If it is missing and you drive in water, water can get in a contaminate the oil. The open end of the hose can be mounted anywhere as long as it is higher than any water you expect to drive through.

From your description, its hard to tell if you are refering to the same thing on the transfer case. If it is the same part, the same rules apply.

psychobiker

Reaction score
newb here just bought a 93 auto 4 wheel dr. do i also have to shift into 4wd in neutral or park... no probs with truck just did not want to do any damage...i did call ford dealers to ask but they werent sur....go figure...ill post picks clean truck great driver..thanks

Roadkill

Reaction score
do i also have to shift into 4wd in neutral or park
The owners manual says you can shift into 4X4 on the fly (at reasonable speeds). Just keep in mind if you have manual hubs you won't really be in 4X4 unless you have gotten out and locked them in.

However, DO NOT shift into 4L on the fly, you need to be stopped in neutral to change gears from high to low or from low to high.

psychobiker

Reaction score
The owners manual says you can shift into 4X4 on the fly (at reasonable speeds). Just keep in mind if you have manual hubs you won't really be in 4X4 unless you have gotten out and locked them in.
However, DO NOT shift into 4L on the fly, you need to be stopped in neutral to change gears from high to low or from low to high.
thanks appreciate that alot

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22