Winter coming on - Heater question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

TX '73

I'd like to drive this winter without freezing my a$$ off. My '73 has a heater that works but doesn't blow very hard or hot. I know the heater control valve is good because it's about 9 mo. old and the linkage works. The heater motor runs when I turn it on. It just doesn't get very warm. I think it's either bad seals or a weak motor.....any suggestions? Thanks!

Yardape

Reaction score
Sounds like your heater core. My '90 Bronco blew warm air but still not enough to keep warm in winter. Changed the heater core and it would melt the hairs off your legs. (not quite but close)

S_bolt19

Reaction score
heater core for the cold temps, but also check the fluid level in the radiator. As for slow or not working blower, you could do a simple upgrade that will knock your socks off. Go get a 78 1/2 ton Ch*vy PU blower moter & squirrel cage. You will have to do a little cutting on the heater box, but use the new cage to get the right hole size, then use self tapping screws to hold it in place. Good upgrade.

OP
OP
T

TX '73

I think I'll start by taking the heater core out and see what it looks like. I wonder, can it be cleaned and put back in? I can get a new one for 40 bucks but is cleaning the old one worth trying? Don't know much about cores so this could be a funny question to read.....thanks for information so far though.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Don't bother with the old core get a new one along with the heater seal kit. Thats alone will help but not enough. The biggest increase in pushing air is to get the Chevy stuff like stated above. Many of us did this conversion and wished we would have known about the upgrade years ago. Huge difference! A dremmel tool is what I used to cut out the hole larger for the bigger round fan (squirrel cage).

OP
OP
T

TX '73

Sounds good....one more thing I want to check though. The thermostat. Could it also be causing the problem? Where is it? I looking at the radiator hose going to the motor but did not see any sign of thermostat.

Also I started taking the box apart to get to the core. The air duct was full of leaves. Cleaned it out but still just warm air. I'm having trouble getting the ***** out of the top of the seal on the duct. It's pretty tight in there and I couldn't get a tool to it. I guess the whole box has to come out anyway to get the core out, right?

I appreciate the help, I'm a not too experienced in hvac stuff and I wound up doing more head scratching than anything.

Yardape

Reaction score
I dont believe there are any screws to take out. there are clips all the way around. follow the upper rad hose to the engine, The piece that the rad hose clamps to is the thermostat housing. Remove that housing and the therostat is under there. If its not there then someone removed it, and this is where the new one goes.

RobMcCutcheon

Reaction score
I just bought a 67 Bronco and would like to upgrade the heat for the winter. Will the 78 1/2 ton Chevy blower motor and squirrel cage work on a'67 and where can I find one? Thanks. Rob

SleeperStyle

Reaction score
is there anything out that that might help it to heat up a little faster? It seems to take the truck forever to start blowing warm air. i was thinking the heater core myself, but maybe there is another option? if not i will go with the option of the remote start too

Yardape

Reaction score
I have seen a product at Canadian Tire that heats the coolant and circulates it the hole time its pluged in. I'd check your local equivlant to Canadian Tire.

S_bolt19

Reaction score
The Chevy conversion should work on any EB. They didn't do much, if anything, to the heat systems from 66-77. As for getting the coolant to heat up faster, make sure your fluid levels are all filled up and apart from getting some kind of circulator, there isn't much you can do.

OP
OP
T

TX '73

I have a new heater core and a heater seal kit is on the way. I'm going back with the original fan motor but if it doesn't work out I might try the chevy upgrade. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
here's the info on the chevy parts to go into your Bronco heater...

Use the motor & cage from a 78 1/2 ton chevy pickup. Carquest part number #208971 (motor) & #209109 (cage). It is about a 30 min upgrade. You will need to cut the opening in the heater box larger. (I used a dremel tool). Use the cage as a guide. Then secure with some self tapping screws. The results are amazing. Cost under $40...

Mark T

Reaction score
If I remember correctly my Brother had an aftermarket heater that piped under his passenger seat that seemed to work well for North Dakota winters, if your interested (and nobody else knows of this conversion) let me know and I can find out more information.

TX '73

Reaction score
HEY GUYS, just wanted to let you know I replaced the heater core, put in new seals and I have hot air now. Those cores just get clogged up after a while I guess. I didn't upgrade the motor cause I want to see how it works this year. I may go for the upgraded chevy motor next year if I can't stay warm but the weather has been changing so much lately I just haven't had a good test run yet, but the air is hot. I appreciate the advise as always. Now on to the next repair.....

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke