coolant flush

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Big Country

Reaction score
I had a question about flushing the radiator. If i don't want to pay some one to do it, what is the best and most effective way to do it other just draining it?

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
I had a question about flushing the radiator. If i don't want to pay some one to do it, what is the best and most effective way to do it other just draining it?
You just go to Wal-Mart and buy a flush kit. You have to cut your heater hose to install a fitting that you can hook your garden hose to. I hate those things...because after you've installed them, no matter what, they always leak...so just plan on replacing some of your heater hose anyway after you're done. After you've drained the radiator, you basically take the cap off the radiator, put in a fitting, hook up a garden hose, turn it on and start the car with the heater on. All the crap inside will start coming out the radiator top. After you've got it nice and flushed, you just replace your heater hose, drain the radiator of all water, and start filling with a 50/50 water/coolant mix until it's full. It's easy, but takes time.

Snowman74 :)>-

mbtech2003

Reaction score
another way is too remove your thermostat and run truck with the heater on full and have the hose in the top of the radiator with the radiator drain open. takes a little longer but u don't haveto cut your hoses. also i allways fill the radiator with one gallon of coolant and then fill the rest with a 50/50mixture of coolant and distiled water. the coolant will protect longer than useing tap water. u use a full gallon first because their is water left over inside the block that is unmixed. :)>-

wtfdissux

Reaction score
the biggest differance is the chemicals used the first step is a cleaner is run through long enough for the 'stat to open twice then the flush begins

and after another 1 or in some cases 2 chemicals are used

being 1 a protector/ w. pump lubricant and 2 a sealer because on older systems when you flush them you may cause a leak when you remove the crud that builds up in the rad and heater core etc.

the other bennefit to a pro job (outside of we have access to chemicals thet you cant buy in any parts store) isthere is no way you can get air pockets as the maching takes out exactly how much it put in instead ofair entering the system and air is what causes the greenish muck sometimes seen when you open the cap or clog your heater core

steechfinger

Reaction score
i just got the prestone radiator flush and you just dirve it for 6 hours like to work all week and drain it out and fill your ststem with water and run it one cycle like to pepboys to buy radiator fluid and drain it and fill it and ur done walla

wtfdissux

Reaction score
was not putting down the home method was only pointing out the differences my self I do it at home as well with a home made kit basically I use a elbow off of the upper rad hose from the therm run a hose from that into a bucket and another elbow into the rad and run that to a 5 gallon funnel that way its pretty much the same as the shop method and I get the chemicals from work

big thing to note make sure that you get it good and hot so the therm opens and turn the heat on high so that you flush the heater core as well

snowman74

Reaction score
There's almost always more than one way to skin a cat, so you might find that a combination of any of these methods works for you. Good point on the distilled water. What do you all think about the product called "Bars Leaks?" I've never used it myself, but have heard it is really good.

Snowman74

bigtrux

Reaction score
bars leak works in an emerancy case but it can clog up your system..... i would only use it if i was in the mud and the shit went bad.... but other than that just replace it ....

wtfdissux

Reaction score
if its a rad leak there are a lot of things you can do bars works good but like was said can gum things up and cause more problems I have blown a rad and used needle nose vise grips to cut and roll the ends of the bad tubes (gotta remove fins in the area and get tube flatened out and roll it so it dont leak) have a piece of exhaust pipe (stainless) in my lower hose right now and dont plan on removing it as it keeps rubbing thru on my gearbox but could use other size pipe for heater hoses etc. heard of pepper in the rad as well but never tried and every one knows someone that used pantyhose for a fan belt but I used a roll of duct tape for one and got 30 miles back to home with it and had to cut it off

snowman74

Reaction score
Truly, gentlemen, is there anything Duct Tape cannot fix?

Snowman74 :)>-

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom