Where's The Computer Mounted? 1994 Bronco?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trigger4x4

trigger4x4
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Ford Bronco 4X4 XLT. Where is the computer mounted at? I had to find/buy a used one and need to replace the one in it now. I jumped a F250 Diesel a while back and I have come to the conclusion that the fellow that had the truck did not reverse the polarity while jumping him. My Bronco has never ran the same since. Wierd startups, to not starting at all, to funny things intermittently going on when I do eventually get it running. A friend suggested changing the computer. A few other people have suggested that I might have to replace a lot of electrical parts. Starter, battery, coil, solenoid, coil, etc.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a 1994 Ford Bronco 4X4 XLT. Where is the computer mounted at? I had to find/buy a used one and need to replace the one in it now. I jumped a F250 Diesel a while back and I have come to the conclusion that the fellow that had the truck did not reverse the polarity while jumping him. My Bronco has never ran the same since. Wierd startups, to not starting at all, to funny things intermittently going on when I do eventually get it running. A friend suggested changing the computer. A few other people have suggested that I might have to replace a lot of electrical parts. Starter, battery, coil, solenoid, coil, etc.
it is inside the drivers side kick panel

But before you do that swap:

btw, do you have a CEL lit up? If so; get a free Code scan @ AutoZone or diy (Thanks to RYAN!) http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=13

and come back here w/codes.

if No CEl/Codes, check the battery to engine and engine to frame ground cables (or steel flat bar that has replaced engine to frame ground on most later years) & connectors for corrosion/damage from the jump. Look closely at each cable's wire strands for corrosion or fraying . Also look at small ground wire @ batty; it is for the PCM

OP
OP
trigger4x4

trigger4x4

trigger4x4
Reaction score
When you mean CEL lit up do you mean when a diagnostic meter is hooked up? Or do you mean something lit up on the dash? When sometimes firing it up you can hear a loud screech just before the starter kicks over. And then sometimes the response when turning the key is absolutely nothing. Just dead. Yet lights and radio and such can come on by switching to battery. Sometimes the CD player will kick on when starting and I have it off. Sometimes it'll die when running when I turn the wheel too far. Sometimes my dash flickers or does wierd flashing with all the error lights across the bottom of dash. And then sometimes after the screech and then fires up, the truck will run absolutely fine until the next time I try to fire it up. Really puzzling.

I have a starter for it, an alternator for it, a coil for it, new solenoid and new battery, and a voltage regulator. And now the computer. I was going to try the new PCM first. Never thought about the wiring or grounds.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke