Weird Gas Mileage..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

canueverstfu

Ducktape = ultimate Fixer.
Reaction score
Okay i live in jacksonville, Florida. and once i travel to where i use to live (Fort walton beach, FL) i put the bronco (1989) in cruise control at 65 MPH, and once i leave there im at a full tank once i arrive in Ft. Walton Beach, it is at a half of tank, but once im driving around, and drive around the city for about 6 miles, it is down to a 3/4 of a tank, and im like ***?!?! and im wondering why does it do that, is it because it stays at a constant speed? or what because i want it to stay like im traveling man thats some good stuff, oh yea to jacksonville to FWB is about 300 - 320 miles.

Seabronc

Reaction score
I'll second that. The sender units and the connections are notorious for going bad. I would find it hard to believe that a Bronco had a 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas after traveling 300+ miles. It is most likely almost empty. You could start by checking the connection at the tank, not easy but doable.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
canueverstfu

canueverstfu

Reaction score
no dude really, i didnt belive it also, and the first time it happend i went to fill it up my max capicity it spit gas out when i put about 6 gallons or so in it. and i thinks its from me acclerating alot that makes my gas so nuts especially when i go off-road. i have to take multipule gas cans just for about 6 hours of off-road. It just likes the Cruise control somehow. I just replaced my tempature gasket and my transmission filter. and i put some "WD-40", and "Vasiline" in my u-joints because of my fourm in the decussion called "Pops when gas is press

guys check it out, im still having difficulties, im going to change it soon, but i need money tho, anyway i can rig it up?

Haha!! Duck tape L'Fixer lol, my rank, thats me alright, yup. Oh honey tire has a hole.. "Oh no" Honey, get the duck tape, i actually did that before. with some super glue and duck tape. lol

""

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Spitting gas out when you have only put in 6 gallons or so isn't necessarily an indication that the tank is full. Broncos are notorious for having problems with filling the tank caused by air bubling back up the fill tube. One of the causes is the vent tube dislodginhg and slipping down a ways.

CarolinaMudder

Reaction score
on interstate i get around 400 miles per tank of gas, sounds unbelieveable but i get that only on interstate and i slam the gas tank to the brim with gas

Seabronc

Reaction score
on interstate i get around 400 miles per tank of gas, sounds unbelieveable but i get that only on interstate and i slam the gas tank to the brim with gas
What size tank do you have, if it is a 33 gal, that's just over 12 MPG which is what most well tuned Broncos get in the interstate. I know of one Bronco that gets 18 on the interstate and I believe with some work I could get mine up to 20.

OP
OP
canueverstfu

canueverstfu

Reaction score

EXACTUALLY! I go on Interstate 10, and i kinda went a little too unrealistic on the 6 gallons part, probally about 16 gallons. and its full again. i got a 43 gallon tank. i think, its defentally higher than 33

KJEfting

Reaction score
EXACTUALLY! I go on Interstate 10, and i kinda went a little too unrealistic on the 6 gallons part, probally about 16 gallons. and its full again. i got a 43 gallon tank. i think, its defentally higher than 33

43 gallons!?! I didn't think they made them that big... At least not for broncos. Dude what I would do is fill up your tank with gas one day and also fill up a five gallon gas can. Reset your odometer and drive around 'til you run out of fuel, record the mileage and use your gas can to get you to a gas station. That way you will know roughly how many miles you can go on a tank of gas and you won't have to rely on your faulty gauge. Unless you want to spend some dough, you can forget about fixing the gauge.

-Ken

Seabronc

Reaction score
Follow the suggestion in KJEfting's post.

The largest standard tank in a Bronco is 33 gal. I'm not aware of anyone who produces a larger one for a Bronco. The 33 hangs down far enough as it is and a 43 would be rediculasly close to the road unless the back floor was cut to push it up, but anything is possible. :blink:

Good luck,

Truck

Reaction score
Cruise Control is your answer. If vehicle A) enters a turn at 50mph, and hits the apex at 40mph. Vehicle B Has CC at 45mph through the entire turn. (Runs hotter at the apex.)

Both vehicles would have the same mph, but vehicle B is running more efficiently because it doesn't lose 10 mph, then have to make it back up.

I've driven with CC for a long time now, and it does save on fuel. Notice how you lose so much in city driving? I bet you're trying to drive in traffic with the Miatas. A vehicle as large as the Bronco spends some serious gas making the stop lights.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Cruise Control is your answer.

I've driven with CC for a long time now, and it does save on fuel.
Right on with the Cruise Contrtol and it is much more relaxing to drive a long trip that way. I usualy lock in at 65 and let her hum. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar