Stripped oil drain plug.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
I was going to change my oil today, and the plug didnt come out. The threads had been getting weaker, and weaker over the last few changes. Today, it finally stripped all of the way. I guess I will have to be getting a new oil pan, unless anyone knows of a good way to cut new threads in a pan and find a bigger drain plug. The motor is a 351W **.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yo, Hawk, I had the same thing happen on a fairly new oil pan and didn't want to spend another $100 for the pan plus have to do all of the work to change it out again. If you have any amount of threads left in the pan, look for a larger plug/ bolt to replace the stripped one. My local NAPA store let me take 3 or 4 sizes and try them out until I found one that worked. Try one or two with fine thread and another couple with coarse threads. Something like a 9/16" or even a 5/8" plug may be needed. A newer, harder bolt than the original (soft junk) plug will often make it's own new threads in the thin pan wall. Worked for me, JSM84 :)>-

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
H

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
Yo, Hawk, I had the same thing happen on a fairly new oil pan and didn't want to spend another $100 for the pan plus have to do all of the work to change it out again. If you have any amount of threads left in the pan, look for a larger plug/ bolt to replace the stripped one. My local NAPA store let me take 3 or 4 sizes and try them out until I found one that worked. Try one or two with fine thread and another couple with coarse threads. Something like a 9/16" or even a 5/8" plug may be needed. A newer, harder bolt than the original (soft junk) plug will often make it's own new threads in the thin pan wall. Worked for me, JSM84 :)>-
34114[/snapback]

I will have to try that, the closest napa is about 3 miles from me, so I will stop by this week.

BRONCFOOT

Reaction score
I will have to try that, the closest napa is about 3 miles from me, so I will stop by this week.
34115[/snapback]

Most any parts store has replacement single thru triple size plugs. They cut their own threds as they go. Tell them you need an oversize plug for a 1/2-20 thread.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
danno