Hurst Floor Shifter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wdetzi

Old School
Reaction score
Just purchased a Hurst Floor Shifter for my 70 Bronco. The Bronco is basically stock with exception of wheel cutouts and supension changes. Still using the stock worn out column shift . I always thought the floor shifter would be better, but now that I bought it I'm a little concerned about making such a large cutout in the floor pan. Any thoughts on which is best, the new floor shift or rebuilding the column shift.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

:excl:

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Oh yah,

Once it's on the floor, you won't go back......

Make a nice, neat cut & do a clean install of the cover & you'll be happy.

As usual read the directions & plan carefully..!

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
After you cut the hole, a fiberglass tunnel cover goes over the hole so it looks decent.

You will love the performance change, now you can fly thru them gears!

Only draw back to this is when in 2nd gear the shifter is touching your right leg. You can bend the shifter but itsn't needed.

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
You can go Auto and not cut it!Just a thought. <)
cowboy.gif

BIG C

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 72 Bronco . I have looked at the Hurst 3 speed & the James Duff shifter . Can anyone give feedback on which shifter is the best for the money , easy to install , ect. ect.

Thanks for your help !

pinson27

Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 72 Bronco . I have looked at the Hurst 3 speed & the James Duff shifter . Can anyone give feedback on which shifter is the best for the money , easy to install , ect. ect.Thanks for your help !
I do know that the Hurst comes with all the linkage brackets youll need for basically every tranny out there,as far as the Duffs....I really dont know.

OP
OP
wdetzi

wdetzi

Old School
Reaction score
I am thinking about doing the same thing to my 72 Bronco . I have looked at the Hurst 3 speed & the James Duff shifter . Can anyone give feedback on which shifter is the best for the money , easy to install , ect. ect.Thanks for your help !
I did install the Hurst 3 speed floor shifter, it was a piece of cake, all the linkages aligned and the whole setup works much smoother than the column shifter and also gives good solid shifts. The whole job didn't take much more than an hour to do. Glad I did it, should have done it years ago!! Don't know anything about the James Duff shifter, but I believe some others on this forum gave some positive feedback on the Duff. Basically I think they're pretty much the same.

Good luck.

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Either shifter will work very well, especially if they are set up correctly.

They are the same shifter with different handles, Duff uses a handle that is off-set to the

right for clearance around your right knee.

retsoced

Reaction score
This is a great post for me since I really want to do the same thing, but I have the 4x4 shifter on the floor already. This is way beyond anything I have attempted, and it's been a long time since I have done any major work on any vehicle.

How would I handle this configuration? I'm guessing I would have to move the 4x lo/hi shifter to place the new Hurst?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
How would I handle this configuration? I'm guessing I would have to move the 4x lo/hi shifter to place the new Hurst?
Nope, the floor shifter goes right next to the x-fer case lever. You don't have to move anything. The kits come with a fiberglass tunnel cover extension for the cut in the original tunnel you have to make.

retsoced

Reaction score
Nope, the floor shifter goes right next to the x-fer case lever. You don't have to move anything. The kits come with a fiberglass tunnel cover extension for the cut in the original tunnel you have to make.
Nice. I can see I will be parting with $100 bucks and a Saturday soon!!

Thanks.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke