Gas Gauge not working?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coupe66

Reaction score
The gas guage on my 74 bronco does not work on with either tank . Any ideas on if it would be the gauge or the sending units . Also would I be able to buy the rubber filler hoses for both tanks at a local parts store . Thanks Robert <)
cowboy.gif

Seabronc

Reaction score
Sending units are usually the problem, but could be connections also. Check the voltage at the connector for the sender unit. It should be around 5 to 7 volts if my memory serves me right. You should be able to get the hoses from a place like LMC Truck http://www.lmctruck.com .

Good luck,

:)>-

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
There is a voltage drop (volt. regulator) attached to back of the instmt. panel. It allows 6volts only to the fuel gage & oil press.

If the oil press. gage is working, then the volt. reg. is ok.

The tank "switch-over" switch may be disconnected. (these wires can fall off)

The wire(s) may be off the gage itself as well.

Lastly, you can carefully remove the senders & test them.

Last edited by a moderator:
K

kts75bronc

If you are talking about the hose that goes from the filler neckto the tank, I got some from NAPPA last week.

OP
OP
C

coupe66

Reaction score
I checked the switch for the tanks and it only had one wire hooked up to it . How many wires go hooked up to it . Is there a wiring diagram on line somewhere that I can look at . The switch has a few connections but no markings . Thanks Robert

OP
OP
C

coupe66

Reaction score
Thanks for the help but the back of the switch has 6 tabs to hook up to and how do I know which ones are used and where ? Does any one have a good wire diagram ? [-o< Thanks

OP
OP
C

coupe66

Reaction score
Has anybody had a chance to see how the wires to the switch are hooked up ? Or know of a good wiring diagram online to look at ? Thanks :-B

wdetzi

Old School
Reaction score
Here's an electrical and picture diagram from a 70 Bronco manual, hope it helps

Fuel_Gauge_Wiring_Dia.jpg

Fuel_Tank_gauge_pic.jpg

wdetzi

Old School
Reaction score
Sorry about those diagrams - didn't mean to send them mega-size such that they were unreadable - I'll try again, hope it works better this time.

Fuel_Gauge_Wiring_Dia_2.jpg

Fuel_Tank_gauge_pic_2.jpg

OP
OP
C

coupe66

Reaction score
Thanks for the wiring diagram . I found the wires under the dash just hanging there . I know my aux tank sending unit works for sure and when I install my new main tank hopefully it will work as well . Thanks Again :)>- Robert

66broncoman

Reaction score
im having the same problem with my 66 bronco. it says its on emptey all the time.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Hotfeet.., welcome...

Yes...,  This diagram is from a 1967 Factory manual.  (assuming that's a copy of my post in the past)

His is a '70 catalog but is the same...............

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke