66-96 Ford Broncos - Early & Full Size
coupe66

Gas Gauge not working?

The gas guage on my 74 bronco does not work on with either tank . Any ideas on if it would be the gauge or the sending units . Also would I be able to buy the rubber filler hoses for both tanks at a local parts store . Thanks Robert <)cowboy.gif

Sending units are usually the problem, but could be connections also. Check the voltage at the connector for the sender unit. It should be around 5 to 7 volts if my memory serves me right. You should be able to get the hoses from a place like LMC Truck http://www.lmctruck.com .

Good luck,

:)>-

There is a voltage drop (volt. regulator) attached to back of the instmt. panel. It allows 6volts only to the fuel gage & oil press.

If the oil press. gage is working, then the volt. reg. is ok.

The tank "switch-over" switch may be disconnected. (these wires can fall off)

The wire(s) may be off the gage itself as well.

Lastly, you can carefully remove the senders & test them.

Edited by Bully Bob

Guest kts75bronc

If you are talking about the hose that goes from the filler neckto the tank, I got some from NAPPA last week.

I checked the switch for the tanks and it only had one wire hooked up to it . How many wires go hooked up to it . Is there a wiring diagram on line somewhere that I can look at . The switch has a few connections but no markings . Thanks Robert

Off the top of my head,

There should be a wire coming from ea. tank....to the switch.

Then, 1 wire up to the volt. reg. on the back of gage cluster.

Thanks for the help but the back of the switch has 6 tabs to hook up to and how do I know which ones are used and where ? Does any one have a good wire diagram ? [-o< Thanks

Thanks for the wiring diagram . I found the wires under the dash just hanging there . I know my aux tank sending unit works for sure and when I install my new main tank hopefully it will work as well . Thanks Again :)>- Robert

Check for current at the sending unit wires....& check the connections on dash & on the back of the instmt. cluster. B)

Hi Hotfeet.., welcome...

Yes...,  This diagram is from a 1967 Factory manual.  (assuming that's a copy of my post in the past)

His is a '70 catalog but is the same...............

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoticons maximum are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.