Transfer Case Identification

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BroncoJon

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 78-79 in the next couple of weeks and have noticed that some people on here have the 203 and some the 205. What determines what Bronco came with what and is there an easy way to distinguish between the two by looking?

supercab4x4dually

Reaction score
I am looking at buying a 78-79 in the next couple of weeks and have noticed that some people on here have the 203 and some the 205. What determines what Bronco came with what and is there an easy way to distinguish between the two by looking?
31794[/snapback]

The NP205 has a cast Iron case,and the 203 is a cast aluminum case,and was used with the fulltime 4wd.

Ziggy

Reaction score
NP205 has a small circular cover plate with 3 bolts holding it on on the back side of the transfer case. It is located between the rear output shaft and the cover for the front output shaft.

jgvabronco

Reaction score
The 203 case is definitely not alluminum. It is solid steel and heavy. Supercab may be mistaking the 208, which is a part-time case that replaced the 205 for a couple of years that is alluminum. The 205 will have one main section, and a yoke coming out of the front and the back. The 203 will have a gearbox section bolted to the chain section where you will find the front output, and then another section bolted to that for the rear output which houses its differential. The 205 is about a foot wide, where the 203 is about 2 foot wide(front to back). If the hubs on the 203 truck are original, they will be solid with a chrome grease cap, not lock-outs. If the **** on the 203 truck's shifter is original it will have Lo-Lock, LO, N, Hi, Hi-Lock for positions instead of 4-lo, N, 2-Hi, 4-Hi positions on the 205 ****.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BroncoJon

Reaction score
When buying be looking for one with the NP435/205 in it.  You will be glad you did.
31858[/snapback]

I love the 6.69-1 of the 435 but I am really tired of shifting and stalling. I know, whaaaaah :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> I want a c6.

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke