Power Steering Problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joliver

Reaction score
I have a 79 ford f150 4X4. When I got it the ps pump was missing. I installed a rebuilt one and filled the fluid and the ps seemed to work good. As soon as I turned the engine of the fluid forcefully spewed forth from the cap(infact it blew the cap off), the fluid was all foamed up. I checked the resevore and found it basically empty and when I restarted the engine the ps did not work. If I introduce more fluid to the resevore the ps works but spews it out as soon as the engine is turned off.

Some say the check valve is bad, take the pump back for exchange. Others say steering box. Most say impossible, never heard of it.

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
Good thing to do is bleed the system,leave the return line off the pump,point it down so it can drain into somethin.Start it up just let it idle,this works best with 2 people,turn the wheels lock to lock while another dumps fluid in,run at least 2 quarts through,shut it off put the line back on,refill,start it,and again turn the wheels lock to lock a few times.See what happens.Make sure to use type F transmissin fluid,thats what the p/s system was designed to use.If ya still have the problem,you may have a relief valve problem with the pump,take it back and exchange it.If that doesn't do it you know the box is gonna need to be replaced.

Bill

E

evilotto

I had the same problem, I replaced the powersteering pump, when you turn the motor off and power steering fluid spewed out the resovoir, someone said you need to bleed it by removeing the return line, I did that but with no luck, the correct way to bleed the system is to loosen the pressure hose that goes into the steering box and let the motor idle. I did this for a couple of minutes, shut it down and checked the level in the pump (had to add more) started it up , let it run at idle, did this three time, took about 5-10 minutes, and my power steering is working fine.

Ziggy

Reaction score
You must bleed the system of all air before you start up you truck. You do this by removing the return line from the pump, fill the resivoir with fluid, turn the P/S pulley through by hand till fluid runs out the return line. Re-connect the return line to the pump and start the engine up. Cycle your steering wheel from one stop to the other a couple of times to bleed remaining air out. Check fluid level while engine is running an add more if required. DO NOT OVER FILL IT! The system will spew fluid all over the place if it is over filled. That's why the "full hot" and "full cold" levels are differant. Been there-done that-learned the hard way.

A

Asemaster

I had the same problem on my 79 bronco after sitting for over a year. bleed system and then lightly tapped on top of gearbox with engine idling and have not had anymore problems with it. I learned the tap on box thing from and old mech. Not sure if it helps get the air bubbles out or unsticks the check vavle to allow the air bubbles out but it works everytime.

MADDMECHANIX9

Reaction score
could this problem with the power steering box also cause a severe shimmy?

i installed the saginaw pump about 3 weeks ago now i've got a shimmy or shake if you will...? :unsure:

Diver

Reaction score
i have the same bronco with the exact same problem. i'm gonna do what the guy in response to you said to do. if that doesn't work, i'm gonna get it replaced or worked on.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fryman22