hub removal on a 4x4. HELP.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

broncokid

Reaction score
can anyone give me a detailed description of what to do? i have a 1990 model if that changes anything.

Seabronc

Reaction score
No matter what you are removing, I suggest that you get yourself one or all of these;

1. Shop manual for your year truck

2. Chiltons for your year truck

3. Haynes for your year truck

Basically you remove the socket head cap screws holding the hub on, remove the outer hub assembly, remove the snap ring retainer from the end of the axle (a snap ring tool would be helpful), remove the lock ring seated in the grove of the wheel hub (I use a pick to get it out), slide the internal assembly out. Reverse the order to replace it.

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

murph

Reaction score
Get a manual. You will also need a special socket. Try a search in this forum. I pulled mine a few months ago. The post should still be there.

silicon_bronco

Reaction score
A 1/2 drive D44 Socket, you can get them at

JBG = I think it was like $10.00 - $12.00

Advance auto = $12.00 give or take a few $

O'Reilly = $17.00

I just did my ball joints and used one of these sockets..

dale1

Reaction score
No matter what you are removing, I suggest that you get yourself one or all of these;
1. Shop manual for your year truck

2. Chiltons for your year truck

3. Haynes for your year truck

Basically you remove the socket head cap screws holding the hub on, remove the outer hub assembly, remove the snap ring retainer from the end of the axle (a snap ring tool would be helpful), remove the lock ring seated in the grove of the wheel hub (I use a pick to get it out), slide the internal assembly out. Reverse the order to replace it.

Good luck,

:)>-

dale1

Reaction score
I have a 90 full size bronco manual hub. I removed snap ring, the manual says the hub body should slide out. I don't see any lock ring or whatever is holding it in. Nothing else mentioned in manual.

Broncobill78

Reaction score
Well I haven't taken apart the auto hubs in my 88' yet to replace them with manuals, BUT it seems to me that a lot of the Dana44 hubs ought to be similar. Now I'm hoping someone else who's taken apart something newer than a 78/79 will backstop me here & let us know if the hubs are similar, way off, or entirely the same, but here's a link to a thread I just posted with all the info for the 78/79 hubs from the Factory manuals. Assuming they're at least similar (and hopefully they're the same) the diagrams, directions & exploded views should give you more to work with.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=12773

Broncobill78

Reaction score
I have a 90 full size bronco manual hub. I removed snap ring, the manual says the hub body should slide out. I don't see any lock ring or whatever is holding it in. Nothing else mentioned in manual.
Yup, SeaBronc confirmed it earlier. The hubs for all the full-size Broncos are the same. The factory info has been moved to the How-To section but here's the link & everything you need is there so go & take a look at it if you're stuck on something or confused about what goes where.

http://broncozone.com/forums/index.php?sho...amp;#entry65094

19Bronco93

Reaction score
i have a 93 bronco, recently had to replace the rotors so i had to remove my hubs.

it can be a difficult task if not done before, but the only two special tools i have found to need are:

-E-Ring Remover (aka Retaining Ring/Clip, either way, it "holds" gears and fun stuff in place, i broke mine and failed to replace them, aint had no problems and i mud and go on the beach all the time. If you ask me, they are just there to make it difficult)

-Dana 44 Socket- has 4 teeth on it that reach in your hub assembly and "Spin" it out.

good luck

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke