Vin ID Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

twisted shackle

Reaction score
I have a body tub that has the vin number on the kick panel.What years did they put the vin tag on the kick panel?I am trying to figure out the numbers, 1st off as far as I can tell in 1966 the 6 digit serial # at the end of the vin number are all numbers and in 1967 on up they used letters in the first digit of the 6 numbers or am I wrong??? mine is U15NL887544 I know u15=wagon,n=289 v8,L=michigan,then 887544 =the year not sure on what year 1965 or 1966???Also I dont know the paint code which is "N",and body/trim code "998",and the axle code "18".Can anybody help me with this please or point me in the right direction.... thanks Joe

S_bolt19

Reaction score
There were no Broncos build for the 1965 production year. They were all '66 and up. So that should get you started. As far as you VIN goes, you are right but there should be another letter in there as well after the "NL".

The N tells me that it is a 289 truck, so that will eliminate the 66 Bronco, because those only had the I-6 engines. You have at least a 67. That letter will let you figure out what year, and month, the thing is, but I think that 67 or 68 had the VIN on the kick panel. Someone out there knows it, maybe BullyBob? he has a 66.

The Color code is for a 68 or newer (years 68-71 & 73-75). And the axle code 18 is for 3.50 gears.

For VIN decoding, http://www.broncohio.com has a great page on there tech site. It has every year for EBs and the VIN decoding. So I would check that to help you out a little.

So by marginal (vastly :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) deductive reasoning, I would bet you have a 68 tub that was originally Medium Beige Metallic & 3.50 gears. Not sure what the trim code would be.

OP
OP
T

twisted shackle

Reaction score
There were no Broncos build for the 1965 production year. They were all '66 and up. So that should get you started. As far as you VIN goes, you are right but there should be another letter in there as well after the "NL".
The N tells me that it is a 289 truck, so that will eliminate the 66 Bronco, because those only had the I-6 engines. You have at least a 67. That letter will let you figure out what year, and month, the thing is, but I think that 67 or 68 had the VIN on the kick panel. Someone out there knows it, maybe BullyBob? he has a 66.

The Color code is for a 68 or newer (years 68-71 & 73-75). And the axle code 18 is for 3.50 gears.

For VIN decoding, http://www.broncohio.com has a great page on there tech site. It has every year for EBs and the VIN decoding. So I would check that to help you out a little.

So by marginal (vastly  :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> ) deductive reasoning, I would bet you have a 68 tub that was originally Medium Beige Metallic & 3.50 gears. Not sure what the trim code would be.

27142[/snapback]

Thanks that helped out but the paint code is "N" the color is a baby blue color.but on ohio bronco there is no "N". and the serial # has 6 numbers and no letters?????????67-77 they had a letter then 5 numbers.In 1965 they made broncos from august on I think?

S_bolt19

Reaction score
Yes, they made them from August '65 on, but they were for the production year of 1966. There were no 1965 Ford Broncos. The number that you have indicates that yours was built in July of '66, but the paint code doesnt match up. Are you looking to title this or is it an already titled tub?

OP
OP
T

twisted shackle

Reaction score
Yes, they made them from August '65 on, but they were for the production year of 1966. There were no 1965 Ford Broncos. The number that you have indicates that yours was built in July of '66, but the paint code doesnt match up. Are you looking to title this or is it an already titled tub?
27257[/snapback]

No I am not looking to title it but I was just curious on the color for 1.I have a 1966 bronco owners sales brochure that I got off ebay,but it does not tell codes but it does say that there were alot of optional colors other than standard colors.And there are a couple of different blue ones.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom