white smoke from exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tripleh87

Reaction score
I have an 88 b2 with a 2.9L v6. White smoke just started coming out of the exhaust yesterday and the temperature gauge started reading a little high, so I thought it was the thermostat. I changed that last night and made sure it had antifreeze in it and started it up and it still did it a little bit then stopped. This morning the wife said that it was smoking alot and there is a blue tint to the smoke along with it being white. It is a southern vehicle and I'm thinking that it has something to do with it starting to get cold here, but I talked to a guy at Advance Auto Parts and he said it sounds like a blown head gasket. I was thinking that the radiator cap is starting to get bad cause with the engine running, i can see antifreeze going into the reservoir tank. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.

Jeremiah

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Sounds like a head gasket to me. White smoke out the exhaust means water is entering the exhaust by a faulty head gasket. The temps were rising due to water loss.

Do you have dual exhaust so you know what side its on?

A tint on blue would be burning a bit of oil which could be old rings, rod beraings etc. But thats nothing to worry to much about yet. The white smoke is a problem. Watch the water flow to see how much you are loosing.

OP
OP
T

tripleh87

Reaction score
it has single exhaust out the passenger's side. i put my hand by the tailpipe and there was a little bit of water on my hand when i pulled it away, but very little.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
I talked to a guy at Advance Auto Parts and he said it sounds like a blown head gasket. I was thinking that the radiator cap is starting to get bad cause with the engine running, i can see antifreeze going into the reservoir tank. Anyone got any ideas? Thanks.Jeremiah

27120[/snapback]

Yah, B'holics & parts guy are prob. right on.

White smoke, wet tail pipe, & dropping fluid level tells the story.....BUT it may be your rad. cap is weak as well....this isn't your smoking problem however.

fordtruckman

Reaction score
Yah, B'holics & parts guy are prob. right on.White smoke, wet tail pipe, & dropping fluid level tells the story.....BUT it may be your rad. cap is weak as well....this isn't your smoking problem however.

27128[/snapback]

it's either the head gasket or a cracked head. and the engine is probably getting hot enough to push water into the reseivor. if is putting out blue smoke also it is probably the rings. i would just go ahead and rebuild the entire engine if thats the case. if yuo have to pull the heads then you are half way there. too bad it wasn't a 3.0 i got one i could let you have for a good price.

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
I guess this forum still shows the old post even when you've gone back and edited it. I did not mean Intake gasket on the first one...I meant HEAD GASKET. Sometimes I type faster than I think :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:

snowman74

Get in, Sit Down, Shut Up, Hang On!
Reaction score
The other guys are right on. Here's a way to check for intake gasket leak: Start with a cold engine, while cold take the radiator cap off. Let the car idle for a while. As the engine get's hot, bubbles should be coming up in the radiator if you've got a leak. If not, a new cap is a cheap fix, and eliminates the possibilities. Also, check your oil level often to see how much it's either loosing or burning.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke