Headlight Switch Wiring Harness

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TennesseeBroncBoy

Reaction score
:(( WHY ME!? Ok guys...here's the deal. Remember my introduction where I explained my headlight trouble. Well, after removing my instrument cluster finishing panel and removed my headlight switch like ya'll said. I pulled the wiring harness from the back and noticed a nice crispy brown/black burnt spot on the harness :angry: . Perhaps this is why my instrument cluster lights would go out when I pulled the headlights to the "ON" position huh. Well, I called the "Graveyard" and they didn't have the harness. What should I do now? I was hoping for a quick fix with the headlight switch, but that was a pipe dream. Thought about using the multimeter, but I think it laughed at me when I picked it up and it said, "You don't know how to use me correctly!" Any help would be great guys. Thanks for help

Seabronc

Reaction score
What year truck do you have. Why don't you include your truck vitals in your signiture field :) /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> that way people like me <)
cowboy.gif
don't have to keep asking :blink: .

:)>-

OP
OP
TennesseeBroncBoy

TennesseeBroncBoy

Reaction score
Well, I just updated my signature like you suggested. However, I don't know too much about it...I just bought it and have no idea what comes as stock on these (i.e. Gear ratio, 302/351, ect.) BUT...I do know that when I came out to my truck this morning, the low beams do not work at all when I actuate the light switch to on position. High beams toggle on when turn signal handle is pulled back. All inside cluster/radio lights still go out when switch is activated still. Checked the fuses for lighting and it was fine. Headlights are mandatory here 24 hrs. a day. So I have no idea what I am going to do. I hate going to a mechanic, and since I am in Iceland, I'll be even more up the creek. I need this fixed...pretty soon. ANY suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

Seabronc

Reaction score
Starting with the obvious, you will have to replace the toasted wires. Get some #14 stranded wire and but splice connectors, if you don't have one get a crimping tool. I don't have a 93 book, the closest I can come is a 95, hopefully the wiring is nearly the same. I'm including a diagram of the circuit from the 95 EVTM.

In the diagram yoiu will see letters next to the wire like DG/Y that is the color of the wire. I'll list the colors on PG 85;

BK/O - Black with Orange stripe

R/Y - Red with Yellow stripe

LG/BK - Light Green with Black stripe

R/BK - Red with Black stripe

Color on PG 13-15

BK/O

T/W - Tan with White stripe

Y/BK - Yellow with Black stripe

LG/Y - Light Green with Yellow stripe

R/Y

B - Brown

W/LB - White with Light Blue stripe

O/BK - Orange with Black stripe

GY - Gray

BK/PK - Black with Pink stripe

Hope that this helps.

Good luck,

:)>-

HeadlampSwitch.jpg

HeadlampSwitch_001.jpg

HeadlampSwitch_002.jpg

OP
OP
TennesseeBroncBoy

TennesseeBroncBoy

Reaction score
Got your diagrams and info Seabronc. Thanks a bunch. I'm gonna go through this stuff tomorrow after work and shoot wires/check voltage and ohms. Hopefully I find the short/culprit. I'll keep you posted.

OP
OP
TennesseeBroncBoy

TennesseeBroncBoy

Reaction score
:( /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> Well, I now know it ain't my headlight switch like we all thought. I did the checks Seabronc gave me(Thanks). It checked good on all checks. I pulled the fuse and checked the circuits there with the ground on the wiring harness and got a closed circuit when it should have been hot coming from there. I must have a short somewhere inside the wire bundle down the line. More electrical work than I wanna do. I am taking it tomorrow to an Icelandic guy that is pretty good with American vehicles. SOOoooo, I'll let ya'll know. He says it's a pretty common thing with Fords, that the harness takes a crap on ya. He has an F-150 he bought from an American here and said it happened to him too. So...ya'll be on the lookout. It might cause a dashboard fire if the wires come loose inside the harness. It is really easy to pull dash finishing panel off to check it. I would disconnect the battery and then just clamp all the wires down tight on the switch to avoid them from pulling out slightly and shorting like mine did. Thanks again Seabronc. Those diagrams helped a lot.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JWBronco1996