Cold Start Valve

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

johnnylisa

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 1992 Ford F-150 with a 4.9L fuel injected inline six. The truck recently has become extremely difficult to keep running when cold. Then engine will start, run for a few seconds and stall. Getting it restarted and keeping it running when cold is the problem. Once the engine warms up, it seems to run ok and restarting is no problem at all. I live in an area of moderate winter temps, so extreme cold or icing is not the problem. I spoke to a fellow at a parts store who said it sounds like the cold start valve needs to be replaced, but no parts stores carry this. I haven't talked to Ford dealership parts yet - closed on Sunday.

Can anyone tell me if this is the likely culprit, where this thing is located on the this particular engine (are there any Ford engine diagrams online?), or is there something else I should be checking?

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,

John

amcabbott

Reaction score
its your idle air control valve IACV. This valve acts sorta like a choke for fuel injection. 3 fords I have owned had a rolling idle or to fast an idle problem or will not idle at all( depends where it gets stuck). the iacv has a plastic worm gear that gets all carboned up and moves to slow or just seizes up so the computer keeps trying to change the fuel settings giving it that great rolling surging idle or revs like **** or will not idle at all. it can be cleaned but usualy it will stick giving a high idle or no idle at all. replace it with a new one there not to much. mine was $35.00 from advance auto parts.any vacume leak can make it even worse.

biggnat79

Reaction score
on my '90 302 it is on the right of the throttle body. I had a sporadic idle, and my engine died in the middle of turns and at full stops. I sprayed it with some carb cleaner, and its idling perfectly.

Brian

Reaction score
Is that IACV electric? Because i took off a round thing on the right of the butter flies that was held on by 2 5/16 screws.Wasn't that crusty but the engine doesn't roll any more.But now it seems to idle about 1200 rpm and after a minute it comes down to about 900 rpm.Is this normal? This is my first Bronco 91 EB 302.Thanks Brian

Brian

Reaction score
I put my 91 EB 302 on the road yesterday, it seems to run good but every once in a while I get a check engine light. Do I have to take it to a shop to find out what's going on?This has been sitting for two years, will a tune up shut the light up?Thanks Brian PS this is a great site!

Raven

Reaction score
goto walmart and they have a ford code reader that will work on your bronc brian. it is $25. I think if you have a autozone near you they will also ceck it for you. I had the same problem and found taht my fuel pressure was to high causing a fuel rich situation. for that goto a local garge and they can test it, some might do it for free others might charge a little.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo