Fix your steering box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

commrad

Reaction score
Some time back I had a step by step PDF that I made on how to fix your steering box if it had play in it.

I lost the disk that it was on but found it the other day so now it is posted on the web.

I will have to email this file to you, I got tired of paying for the web space for people to download it

feel free to use this info but I am not at fault if you trash your steering. it worked for me more than once and it all so worked for other members here till I lost my disk :blush:

Any way, here it is, try it out, pass it around what ever you feel you want to do with it and if you know of any corrections please feel free to email me.

Last edited by a moderator:

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the link this will make it directly accessable from this thread http://www.old-millcreek.com
Also I saved a copy on my computer, which I do with all neat PDF format documents.  Once it is downloaded to a temp file, which is what happens when someone looks at the link, all that is necessary to save a copy is to hit the save icon. 

Nice job :-B

:)>-

23067[/snapback]

yo Commrad!

Do you have a new site for this article?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Found this via Steve83;

Steering Box Preload Adjustment

1. Disconnect the pitman arm from the sector shaft using a Pitman Arm Puller (Tool T64P-3590-F).

2. Disconnect the fluid return line at the reservoir and cap the reservoir return line ****** to retain the fluid in the reservoir.

3. Place the end of the return line in a suitable container and turn the steering wheel from stop-to-stop several times to discharge the fluid from the gear. Discard the fluid.

4. Turn the steering wheel to the right stop, then back left 45 degrees.

5. Attach an inch-pound torque wrench to the steering wheel nut and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft slowly approximately one-eighth turn (45�) toward center from the initial 45 degree position. Note this first value.

6. Turn the steering gear back to center and determine the torque required to rotate the shaft back and forth across the center position (� 90�). Compare the center value to the first value, using the following criteria:

* Vehicles with less than 5,000 miles (8046 Km):

If total meshload over mechanical center is less than 15 in-lb (1.7 Nm) or greater than 24 in-lb (2.7 Nm), RESET to first value PLUS 11-15 in-lb (1.2-1.7 Nm).

* Vehicles with more than 5,000 miles (8046 Km), or with new sector shaft:

If meshload over mechanical center is NOT 7 in-lb (0.8 Nm) GREATER than the first value, RESET to 10-14 in-lb (1.13-1.6 Nm) GREATER than first value.

7. If reset is required, loosen the adjuster locknut and turn the sector shaft adjuster ***** until the reading is the specified value greater than the torque at 45 degrees from the stop. Hold the sector shaft ***** in place, and tighten the locknut.

8. Re-check torque readings and replace the pitman arm and steering wheel hub cover.

9. Connect the fluid return line to the reservoir and fill the reservoir to specification with the specified fluid. Check belt tension & adjust if necessary.

Do not pry against the reservoir to obtain proper belt load. Pressure will deform the reservoir and cause it to leak.

http://www.supermotors.net/vehicles/registry/media/513527

Scroll down

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar