Problem With Tailgate Window

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ha-y-n Bronco

Reaction score
I have a 95 Bronco and the tailgate window won't work when I use the key. But it does work when I use the switch inside the cab. Does anyone know what likely went wrong and how to fix it, it is a real pain in the @$$ :mad:

jacque_strap

Reaction score
What is most likely the cause is just a short or broken wire. The best way to check is to take off the inside panel - then with the tailgate down, close the latches on the sides with your fingers. Then carefully put the window up with the gate down - this will give you much more access inside the gate. Inside you'll see the master cylinder - when turned one way or the other is pushes little switches in. You might try pushing them with your finger - just to test (this little relay switch might be shot also). Then I believe there is only a few wires running from that switch, you can trace them back just by looking for faults or use a voltage tester. Hope this helps a little.

DanaDRD

Reaction score
I had the same problem a few years ago, window would work from the inside switch but not from the key at the tailgate. Here was my problem: The wire harness extending from the driver

hawk2100n

Wants Overdrive
Reaction score
I also had the same problem. it was just a broken wire. same solution as above.^

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I had / have the same problem with my 90. The way I fixed it was to run a wire from the battery to the harness behind the taillight. I'm not sure if Ford kept the same wire colors but on the 86 - 91 broncos you want the black wire with the white stripe. If the wires are ok between the tailgate and quarter panel this might be your problem.

I am also having the trouble with the wires between the gate and quarter. I wish I could find a replacement harness for this as well as the rest of the truck.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo