Towing Capacity

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rockliner

Reaction score
Hello Gang,

I have been trying unsuccessfully to figure out what is the maximum tow capacity of my Bronco. I am about to embark on a 4 month trip across the US and am looking to buy a travel trailer - 25 to 30 feet. Most of these are around 4K to 5500K lbs.

I have a 93, 5.0 engine, Manual Transmission.

The manual implies that I can only tow 3K lbs. The bumper hitch is rated at 4K trailer and 400 tongue. I was going to buy a class III hitch but why bother if I can't pull over 3K?

Can anyone shed some light on this issue for me? Thanks

bluesman17

Spam Terminator
Reaction score
We pull a trencher with my bronco and its close to 2000 pounds, barely even notice its there till braking. I have a 5.0 and its stock power is VERY close to a 5.8.

Last edited by a moderator:

fbrown3

Reaction score
If your going to tow anything heavy AND I MEAN ANYTHING, make sure it has surge brakes on it. You can pull a lot if you just take your time. The main problem is trying to stop in a hurry!

OP
OP
R

Rockliner

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to buy the camper and it weighs about 4500 lbs. The dealer states 6K but nobody is really sure due to the age.

bew8484

Reaction score
I pull my 25' speed boat with my 96 bronco. Pulls just fine and the boat is right at 4000 lbs. Anything over that you might want to look at some kind of performance exaust and/or a nice air filter. You know to help the bronco breathe.

Brad

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Get a good frame mounted hitch and power brake set up. No need to take out a family of four cause you can't stop.

I use my F350 with a 460 motor to pull my 68 Bronco on a flat bed trailer. The Bronco is proabbly 4000# and the trailer is 2000#.

Its a heavy pull even for a 1 ton truck with the big V8. Over the pass its tough to keep up 60-70mph. I upgraded to a 10K hitch with 1000# tounge.

Your 5.0 will have overheating problems driving over mountain passes and will **** the gas for sure. I also have warped my brakes several times even with good trailer brakes thanks to all the rice rockets out there.

OP
OP
R

Rockliner

Reaction score
Thanks, what about the fact that its manual transmission. Does that make any difference to how much it can pull?

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
Yes, a manual transmission has less slippage than an automatic, so is better for towing. I believe the towing capacity for your 93 Bronco (and most fullsize year models) is from 5,000 to 6,000 pounds, unles you have the towing package to tow slightly more. You should see a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) listed on the door jamb sticker, and it will also be the 4th character in your V.I.N.#. If it's a "D" that stands for 5K-6K.

If you have never towed with a short wheelbase rig like the Bronco before, take the other posts' advice on a good WD-receiver hitch, trailer brakes, etc. It is more difficult to tow a trailer with the Bronco than a longer wheelbase truck.

Last edited by a moderator:

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo