Removing front wheel hubs (4x4) from axle

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sandmann999

Abandoned Bronco
Reaction score
I'm taking apart the 4 wheel locking hubs on the front of an 81 Bronco. I was able to remove the cap and the retaining ring, but wasn't able to disassemble it any further. My chiltons told me to remove a "stop *****" or something like that, but there's no ***** to remove or anything that seems to be holding things in place. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remove what's neccessary to access the wheel bearings and to remove the rotors? (2 separate jobs)

Thanks for any help.

BK85

Reaction score
NAPA sells a tool, (cheap) that looks like a large socket that goes into the hub and loosens a nut that holds the whole thing on. I can't remember the price, but if I bought it it was cheap..

BK85

OP
OP
sandmann999

sandmann999

Abandoned Bronco
Reaction score
NAPA sells a tool, (cheap) that looks like a large socket that goes into the hub and loosens a nut that holds the whole thing on.  I can't remember the price, but if I bought it it was cheap..
BK85

22469[/snapback]

THanks forf the reply, but there isn't a nut on the end of it. All there is is a threaded hole on the end of the splined axle. There aren't any nuts, retaining screws, or retaining rings anywhere in which to speak of.

It's a Warn hub, which I assume is stock (which I'm pretty sure they are.)

Thanks.

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Besides the small snap ring around the axle shaft there is a large retainer ring (like 4"-5" diameter with a break in it) thats the same size as the hub. This is what holds the hub in there. Its located just in front of the hub and goes all the way around the inside hub area. Use two very small ***** drivers. Find the break in the retainer and pry one end up while inserting the other under the lifted ring. Then slide the screwdriver around so it pulls out. Little hook puller work well too. Then add one or two of your hub bolts back into the hub (makes it easier to pull) so you can pull the hub out. Sometimes it takes a good pull or giggle it out. Then you can use the special socket that has the 4 prongs on the end to get the bearing nuts off.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke