Ignition System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

a4x4funlover

Reaction score
Im going to be picking up my new to me 94 Bronco and want to get some MPG out of it considering its going to be my Daily driver and Im woundering what would be the best upgrades to achieve this. I was looking into an electronic Ignition system and was woundering what would be the my best choice. Im not worried about skill required to install it, I do all my own work but I havent done any proformance mods in over 10year and kinda out of the loop on whats good.

Has anyone had any experience with Jacobs Electronic Omni Magnum Team Ignition System on there 351w. Also looking into a K&N type set up is there any other compainies that offer similar Items or better for the Bronco I'm Having a hard time finding alternates for these parts. If anyone happens have any info on home made air intakes or even Ram air or other forced air system as I am on a budget for these mobs. Any help in gaining better proformance and gas milage would be Awesome.

Thank A 4x4 fun lover

Bradt

Reaction score
From my understanding, for a daily driver you're not going to see a whole lot of improvement with the fancier systems. You'll get your biggest jump from a good set of wires and a good coil.

MSD makes a drop in coil replacement for the Bronco for about $50 (P# MSD 8227). You can pick it up at AutoZone, and it clips right into your existing system.

I just dropped one in, and I noticed about a 3 mpg jump in mine, and Iheard similar experiences from others. My jump has only been noticed on one tank, but I'll update once I run the second tank through. I still need to regap my plugs and adjust the timing, so there may be an even bigger jump once I do that. We'll see

In addition I'm pretty good about keeping things clean. I've run seafoam through the brake booster hose, cleaned the throttle body, made sure the PCV system is flushed and functioning. Keeping it well tuned is a big help.

I didn't notice a big difference in the K&N filter though. There's probably a much better difference with the full FIPK, but I just got the drop in. I did the first cleaning on it today, and they are remarkably easy to clean. Not having to buy new filters is worth it. I would go ahead and get at least one paper filter to put in while you're cleaning the K&N since you have to let it sit for a while to dry

brad

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

a4x4funlover

Reaction score
Thanks Brad

Ill look into the MSD coil, and alread planed on doing a full tuneup plugs/wires etc. talked to one of the guys at work and he had also recomended the seafoam to flush the systems, this is also on my todo list when I get it. I want to do the Full K&N upgrade just hope its worth the gain.

Im going to be rebuilding the Master Cylinder and Stearing unit after i get it also. there is some exessive play in the stearing and brake pedal goes almost to the floor befor it starts stoping.

I eventually want to get a lift on this bronco and run some bigger meats Ive alway enjoyed going off raod, but going to wait a year or two befor I build up the suspension and such. this truck may end up being a life long project vehicle. Ive got my work cut out for me but thanks for the info and if anyone else has any ideas that would help me out drop them here.

Thanks A 4x4 fun lover

fourbybuilder

Reaction score
ive never used jacobs but had a buddy who did he didnt keep it to long and then upgraded every thing to MSD. Ive always used msd ignition stuff on my trucks and never had a problem with there stuff try the coil distributer and the msd 6al offroad box and u will see great gains in preformance

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
i have the jacobs and the box has fried itself,i sent it off like 2 months ago and still haven't heard anything from them.I still use the coil though.I have heard that other folks have had the same prob with jacobs.

don't forget to put a good free flowing exhaust on it that will help with mpg and power.a programmer,set of 1.7 roller rockers,maybe some under drive pulleys,electric fan instead of the mechanical.and like it's been said keeping it tuned.

good luck on your bronco.

Bradt

Reaction score
I just dropped one in, and I noticed about a 3 mpg jump in mine, and Iheard similar experiences from others.  My jump has only been noticed on one tank, but I'll update once I run the second tank through.
22185[/snapback]

Filled up not too long ago and it was 16 1/2. Still about a 1.5 mpg increase.

brad

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke