BW1356 manual/push button

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

derrick36

Reaction score
I'm having second thoughts on doing a NP205 swap in place of my BW1356. Its not set in stone, but I just want to check out my options. If I stay with the 1356, I deffinately want to go with a manually shifted one. I'm wondering what the differences between the manually shifted 1356s and the push button ones? Could I convert the one I currently have to be manually shifted? If I do have to swap my transfer case completely, are there any years of the 1356 that are better than others? Any help would be great!

Deerrick

OP
OP
D

derrick36

Reaction score
You have to swap it completely the case and guts are different  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
21863[/snapback]

I was affraid of that. So, is there a year that was better than the other?

Bronco_In_Ny

Reaction score
One bad thing about the 1356's is the lack of upgrades you can do.. If I ever get all my other projects and more important my Trani fixed I was going to look into a atlas II $-)

OP
OP
D

derrick36

Reaction score
One bad thing about the 1356's is the lack of upgrades you can do.. If I ever get all my other projects and more important my Trani fixed I was going to look into a atlas II  $-)
21871[/snapback]

Ya, I'm not set in stone on staying with a 1356, but I've seen them run in some pretty stout applications, but I'm still a little leary. I just don't want the transfer case to be the week link in my drivetrain.

Since the two transfer cases are different(1356 manual & push button), is the skid plate different between the two?

BLADE262US

Reaction score
The skids are the same but if you have to buy one get one from an 87 or newer there is some changes from 80 to 86 and 87 to 96 in the manual shift ones like length of the shifter shaft coming out of the T case and sensor position . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

OP
OP
D

derrick36

Reaction score
The skids are the same but if you have to buy one get one from an 87 or newer there is some changes from 80 to 86 and 87 to 96 in the manual shift ones like length of the shifter shaft coming out of the T case and sensor position .  :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />
21888[/snapback]

Awesome! Thanx for the info.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I'm having second thoughts on doing a NP205 swap in place of my BW1356.  Its not set in stone, but I just want to check out my options.  If I stay with the 1356, I deffinately want to go with a manually shifted one.  I'm wondering what the differences between the manually shifted 1356s and the push button ones?  Could I convert the one I currently have to be manually shifted?  If I do have to swap my transfer case completely, are there any years of the 1356 that are better than others?  Any help would be great!Deerrick

21862[/snapback]

The main difference between the manual-shift and electric shift B-W 13-56 is where the shift selector is located on the outer case. While the housing is magnesium and very similar on both, the electric shift motor is on the opposite side of the manual shift linkage. The internal parts are identical.

I agree that the best way to convert from electric to manual is to swap the whole transfer case, but you could just get a manual-shift case-housing and put your electric-shift "guts" in it.

The B-W 13-56 does have a better low-range ratio (2.72:1) than the NP205 (1.69:1), and weighs alot less (74 lbs.) The one problem I see with it is the mounting of the oil pump into a groove in the hosuing. There is a tech article on this, and how to fix it. Basically where the pump mounts to the case will wear out about 100K miles, and it could come loose. As long as the fluid level is kept full, the pump shouldn't fail.

For your swap, you will need the shift linkage from the B-W 13-56 that mounts to your type of tranny (E4OD), as they are specific. I would look for one as new as you can find, so it doesn't have alot of miles on it, but it's a good idea to disassemble and inspect a used one. Local junkyards want $350-$400 for a 92-96 model t-case.

OP
OP
D

derrick36

Reaction score
The main difference between the manual-shift and electric shift B-W 13-56 is where the shift selector is located on the outer case. While the housing is magnesium and very similar on both, the electric shift motor is on the opposite side of the manual shift linkage. The internal parts are identical.
I agree that the best way to convert from electric to manual is to swap the whole transfer case, but you could just get a manual-shift case-housing and put your electric-shift "guts" in it.

The B-W 13-56 does have a better low-range ratio (2.72:1) than the NP205 (1.69:1), and weighs alot less (74 lbs.) The one problem I see with it is the mounting of the oil pump into a groove in the hosuing. There is a tech article on this, and how to fix it. Basically where the pump mounts to the case will wear out about 100K miles, and it could come loose.  As long as the fluid level is kept full, the pump shouldn't fail.

For your swap, you will need the shift linkage from the B-W 13-56 that mounts to your type of tranny (E4OD), as they are specific. I would look for one as new as you can find, so it doesn't have alot of miles on it, but it's a good idea to disassemble and inspect a used one. Local junkyards want $350-$400 for a 92-96 model t-case.

21932[/snapback]

Well, I was thinking about getting one from drivetrain.com. They have them for $775 +core, I know that's more money, but I would likely rebuild a junkyard one anyways. I dont like the thought of throwing in used parts. I found a pretty good Ford trucks only wrecking yard, and I'm just waiting to hear back on how much everything from the shifter down will cost.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Hey Justshootme84 the parts are not identical between an electric shift and a manula shift . I have had both apart laying side by side trying to do just what your saying and it just flat out wont work there are alot of parts different in the electric case for the way it shifts its not just an electric motor running a manual shift linkage its way different . Ill find the breakdowns I have or Ill just take pics of the 2 units the electric one still lays in peices both units failed from the oil pump line cracking and falling off . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo