Throttle Body Spacers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadow_D

Reaction score
I know this has been talked about but I just want a current opinion.

The claim is that they will increase HP and will gain 1 - 3 MPG.

Do these really work or are they junk?

Thanks

Darrin (Shadow D) N.

EB Bronco

Reaction score
I took the TBS out of my 94 Bronco and it ran a lot better without it than it did with it. I had problems with the Bronco downshifting at highway speeds with the TBS installed.

Roger

Bradt

Reaction score
It's debatable at best.

My opininion? people see what they want to see. Very few people just say "Hey my truck's running great. I think I'll slap this on.". A lot of the testimonials you see are either just plain made up, or from people unhappy with their car to begin with.

It's like the K&N filters in a Bronco. You're really not going to get an appreciable difference witha K&N simply because the airbox is large enough to breathe easily anyway. What I suspect happens is most people are comparing their dirty, old filter to the new K&N. When I made my swap on that I was running a clean filter, and guess what. No difference.

Maybe it's different with a modified intake and exhaust on the filter, but I still wouldn't waste time on the spacer.

brad

Last edited by a moderator:

Seabronc

Reaction score
Thanks for that response Bradt. A lot of things are in the mind of the beholder and are talked about without any real data or facts to back them up. It is best to keep answers in the forum to actual facts and experience. A lot of factors have an effect on whether something works for a particular engine, drivetrain combo. What works for one guy may not necessarily work for another and that is the way it should be reported. However, I realize it is hard to be objective at times but one should attempt to be none-the-less.

In reference to a KN filter, my intake gulps plenty of air and if I want to help it I simply install my summertime Poormans KN. :D

100_0004.JPG

Seabronc

Reaction score
In reference to the original question, the answer is probably a conditional maybe. The object is to improve the air flow and mixture from the filter to the cylinder. That is why, for ex. the Edelbrock intake is so much taller than the stock intake and has better flow angles internally. Flow means a lot on both ends, flow in and flow out, (headers vs stock exhaust manafolds). Also the smoothness of edges encountered on the way, if they cause turbulance then they restrict flow. So if the the spacer improves the flow then it will be of some effect but noticable, ?, worth the time and money? that's up to you. You only get peak HP between 3200 to 4200 RPM depending which Bronco engine is installed so..... what's 2 HP worth. You can get that by getting the engine running at peak efficiency from being properly adjusted. In my openion most little gadgets aren't worth the time, money and effort. That's my .02 on the gadget.

Good luck,

:)>-

OP
OP
S

Shadow_D

Reaction score
Thank you everyone.

I do like the K&N filters because I used one in my old Chevy Caprice along with a few other items such as a Hyper-Tech chip, Racing wires, Bosch Platinum +4's, Super coil and a good cap & rotor set. Everything listed is probably why I noticed a difference.

That said I was thinking about changing everything over in my Bronco to try to get as much HP & MPG as I can.

I am always open to ideas in this day and age with fuel prices as high as they are.

$2.099 per gallon is getting too much and it is still climbing. :angry:

Bradt

Reaction score
Thank you everyone.I do like the K&N filters because I used one in my old Chevy Caprice along with a few other items such as a Hyper-Tech chip, Racing wires, Bosch Platinum +4's, Super coil and a good cap & rotor set. Everything listed is probably why I noticed a difference.

That said I was thinking about changing everything over in my Bronco to try to get as much HP & MPG as I can.
I feel ya on the gas. With the K&N if you've got a buddy with one try it out first. I've used one on a mustang and boy did it make a difference, but the Bronco has such a large filter/airbox that I didn't notice anything. I guess it'll pay for itself eventually anyway, so you really don't lose, but unless you've got a modified exhaust/headers the filter probably isn't where the flow is restricted. I like the filter just for economy purposes, but don't get your hopes up too high on the mileage.

If you do put one in, it would be nice to see a comparison between two clean filters. Comparing it to an old filter is misleading If you can do it, I'd love to see what results you get.

I've heard people getting results from an msd coil, gapping the spark plugs differently, and adjusting the timing, but can't say personally.

Oh, and when was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

brad

cowboydan

Reaction score
here's a quick flow test. take a normal 2l bottle, glass/ plastic doesn't matter. fill with water and hold upside down. then fill again and this time hold hand tight to opening, turn upside down spin the water. my opinion is that some turbulence is good, combine air velocity and you've got added hp, as well better economy. taking that cool looking factory intake opening off on my 87 had to be worth 5hp

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo