Finding out your gear ratio

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DIMEBAG

Reaction score
Im having a hard time finding what my 1980 bronco's gear ratio is. I know its on the axle but i still am having a hard time finding it.

Thanks

79bigbronco

Reaction score
there are a few ways to tell gear ratio, my favorite quick check is look for the tag on the frt. diff , that tag will have the # 350:, if it does that is your gear ratio is, 350:1 the most common gear ratio in broncos. If it dosnt have a tag , it 's very easy to drop the frt. cover, roll the crown gear toward u, till u see a series of numbers, in that group u will find a set of # 41:11....373's, that is the actual, count of the teeth on the crown(41) and the pinion(11). Divide the crown by the pinion. :)>-

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Or a quick guesstimate: jack up the rear axle until the tires are off the gound. turn the tire and count how mant times the driveline turns vs. the tire. If the tire goes around 3 times and the driveline turns 5 you have 3:50 ratio or very close.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
There is also an axle code on the sticker behind the driver's door on the post/B-pillar. Post the code and someone will decipher it. H6=Ford 9" with 3.50:1, w/ limitedslip. The transmission code is there, too, if you want to know what type it is.

big blue bronco

Reaction score
There is also an axle code on the sticker behind the driver's door on the post/B-pillar. Post the code and someone will decipher it. H6=Ford 9" with 3.50:1, w/ limitedslip. The transmission code is there, too, if you want to know what type it is.
18763[/snapback]

I have a 94 bronco and on my B-pillar it reads a H9 axle on the sticker and a E code for the transmission. i was wondering if you knew what they are. thanks

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I have a 94 bronco and on my B-pillar it reads a H9 axle on the sticker and a E code for the transmission. i was wondering if you knew what they are. thanks
18915[/snapback]

On your 94 Bronco, the rear axle is a Ford 8.8" The code H9 = 3.55:1 gear ratio, with factory limited slip (Trac-Lok). A code I9 or 19 is the same ratio w/o L/S.

Transmission code E = E4OD auto. That's the most common auto, overdrive model offered from 1988-1996. Code K = a C6 model, w/o OD.

The transfer case will be a Borg-Warner 13-56, either manual or electric shift.

Last edited by a moderator:

84pabroncoman

Reaction score
well now i know what i have on my 84 bronc. it says H9 and tranny code K. That saved me from tearing the cover off the rear end.

It's unbelievable what you guys know........lol

Sort mf makes my 150 IQ feel inferrior

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ReturnToHangar