Suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBad89Bronco

Reaction score
OK heres my question, i have stock leaf springs with 6 inch blocks. I bought an Add-A-Leaf for the rear springs and its supposed to give 1-2 inches of lift. The springs i got now are the stock origional ones and are sagging. So i got another set of non sagging springs from another bronco and put the add a leaf in them.. My question is that isnt the truck gonna have 7-8 inches of lift in the rear now...and to get 6 would i use a 4 inch block with the add a leaf????

anyone got any advice...please hit me up

dirt

Reaction score
you could use either 4" blocks or do a shckle flip using the front habgar from the rear leafs on an f-250 attached to the rear of your rear leafs, or order the inverted shackles from sky-manufacturing. the shckle flip will get you between 3-6" lift depending on how you mount them.

OP
OP
B

BigBad89Bronco

Reaction score
no im not gonna do anything with the shackels i just wanna get a tru 6 inches without going over too much, like if the 6 inch blocks with the add a leaf are gonna push the ass end up i dont want it to look like a dragste i just want it to have 6 so it sits level

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
I would say you are right about the AAL + the 4"-4.5" block to get you back to 6" total lift. There's two types of rear leaf packs for the Bronco, one was stock and one had an extra leaf for the towing package (5 total). That may make a difference if you swap out to the other type from your's. If your rearend still sits a little too high, you might want to remove one of the leaves from the pack. This will also soften the ride out a bit. While you're at it, think about replacing the spring eye bushings with poly's.

OP
OP
B

BigBad89Bronco

Reaction score
I would say you are right about the AAL + the 4"-4.5" block to get you back to 6" total lift. There's two types of rear leaf packs for the Bronco, one was stock and one had an extra leaf for the towing package (5 total). That may make a difference if you swap out to the other type from your's. If your rearend still sits a little too high, you might want to remove one of the leaves from the pack. This will also soften the ride out a bit. While you're at it, think about replacing the spring eye bushings with poly's.
17850[/snapback]

the springs i got have 5 leafs in them but they are out of a stock 95 bronco and im gonna put the addaleaf in them, so with them springs and addaleaf do you think it will look dumb sitting a little higher in the ass end??? i have 4 12 inch subs and in 2 boxes with 3 amps in the rear so thats a some weight to push it down so it might just even out....so what do you think

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I think it will sit a little higher in the rear, and will also ride alot stiffer with the AAL. 100 pounds or so of speakers and stuff won't make much of a dent in the way of squatting it down, I think you would need 5-6 hundred lbs. for that to happen. You will need to take the spring packs apart and remove the bottom, short overload spring to install the AAL, so just leave that bottom one and maybe the next one out when putting it all back together. That's where the range of 1-2" of lift comes in to play. A softer ride will also keep your stereo stuff and you from getting jarred too much.

As for whether it looks better with the Bronco slanted to the front or to the back doesn't make much difference to me, I would be more concerned with having enough clearance for the tires. MY rig sits level, and the first tire contact with the body is at the rear wheels when the suspension is at full droop on one side.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
B

BigBad89Bronco

Reaction score
I think it will sit a little higher in the rear, and will also ride alot stiffer with the AAL. 100 pounds or so of speakers and stuff won't make much of a dent in the way of squatting it down, I think you would need 5-6 hundred lbs. for that to happen. You will need to take the spring packs apart and remove the bottom, short overload spring to install the AAL, so just leave that bottom one and maybe the next one out when putting it all back together. That's where the range of 1-2" of lift comes in to play. A softer ride will also keep your stereo stuff and you from getting jarred too much.
As for whether it looks better with the Bronco slanted to the front or to the back doesn't make much difference to me, I would be more concerned with having enough clearance for the tires. MY rig sits level, and the first tire contact with the body is at the rear wheels when the suspension is at full droop on one side.

17881[/snapback]

well i think ill just leave all 6 leafs in for strength but any ideas on how to get another inch or two outta the frony without different coils or drop brackets...coil spacers maybe????what will they do to the ride and height??? or anything els i could do...like coil/ shock tower??let me kno!

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
with a 6" block you are gonna have some major axle wrap issues,you should go with the shackle flip it's cheap and you lose the blocks.

had a friend crush a block before when he dumped the clutch and it cost him a driveshaft,shocks,u-joints,and the time he was out of a truck plus the tow bill.

Justshootme84

Reaction score
I would definitely not use coil spacers up front, as they will throw offf the alignment and I don't think they would be very safe with the TTB axle. IT may help alittle (1/4-1/2") to use a stiffer shock, but then your ride quality will suffer. I would just deal with the "rake" of the rig only on the rear springs and blocks. I can tell you from experience that using the factory leaf pack with 5 springs plus the AAL will be very harsh, and you will not compromise strength by removing the bottom one. You will still have a problem with axle wrap under acceleration due to the blocks. And don't forget to check the driveshaft pinion angle with whatever set-up you choose.

OP
OP
B

BigBad89Bronco

Reaction score
I would definitely not use coil spacers up front, as they will throw offf the alignment and I don't think they would be very safe with the TTB axle. IT may help alittle (1/4-1/2") to use a stiffer shock, but then your ride quality will suffer. I would just deal with the "rake" of the rig only on the rear springs and blocks. I can tell you from experience that using the factory leaf pack with 5 springs plus the AAL will be very harsh, and you will not compromise strength by removing the bottom one. You will still have a problem with axle wrap under acceleration due to the blocks. And don't forget to check the driveshaft pinion angle with whatever set-up you choose.
17888[/snapback]

exactly what is axel wrap anyway????? , and i got a stock 5 spring pack now, i cant see how 1 little add a leaf is gonna make it that much harsh cuz its super soft now

Justshootme84

Reaction score
Axle wrap is when the whole axle tries to rotate forward under acceleration. It becomes more noticeable when you install taller blocks, due to the leverage between the axle and spring mounting plate. It's sort of like if the front half of the spring wants to twist up and the rear half bends down. The net effect is that it affects the pinion angle and puts stress on the block and axle pad where it sits upon. The block will break or slip out way before a spring will break.

Whenever you add another leaf to the spring pack, you increase the spring rate and it will be firmer. YOu can go ahead and try it like you want, I'm just giving you a suggestion on how to adjust the height down. That's done by removing a leaf or two from the pack. The only other way I would try to adjust the ride is to shim the body mounts in front, but even that's alot of work. Good luck!!! :)>-

cowboydan

Reaction score
with a 6" block you are gonna have some major axle wrap issues,you should go with the shackle flip it's cheap and you lose the blocks.had a friend crush a block before when he dumped the clutch and it cost him a driveshaft,shocks,u-joints,and the time he was out of a truck plus the tow bill.

17886[/snapback]

if you use traction bars with the blocks, it will take care of the axle wrap issue, just make sure your axle has the right angle or you will eat the u-joints all the time. the shackle flip may be cheap but it is not as easy as it sounds.... unless you're using all new components

when you use blocks you should be using heavy steel.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom