carb tricks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan79&96

Reaction score
i have a newer holley 500 is there any tricks to help it run at angles any better or to get the optimum low end throttle response? i think it has a 50cc pump but im not sure. i saw the carb in summit and its not street legal but it comes with the kickdown linkage for the c6 so is it a pretty good choice for the 400? im new to truck carbs i only know a little about small one barrell motorcycles.

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
Its a good choice for a carb,not a whole lot ya can do to help it out on inclines other than lowering the float level a little,.When you adjust the carb use a vacum gauge,turn the mixture screws out till you reach maximun vacum and then turn it about a 1/16 of a turn towards lean,do that to both mixture screws,you can adjust your timing the same way except fot the turning the 1/16 in part,the most ya might have to do is rteard the timing a little so it does not spark knock

Seabronc

Reaction score
I disagre with Billz4x4z, a Holley is infinately tunable. Do you have a 2BBl or 4BBl intake? If you have a 4 BBL and want to use a Holley, I'd recommend a 4160 with the Ford C6 kickdown adapter.

Good luck,

:)>-

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
did you even read my post......didn't say anything about the carb not being tuneable......just said it did not do well on inclines......

Seabronc

Reaction score
did you even read my post......didn't say anything about the carb not being tuneable......just said it did not do well on inclines......
17691[/snapback]

Right, sorry Bill, must have had dislexia :p /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" /> . What you said was correct :blush: I must have stopped thinking at, "not much you can do". <)
cowboy.gif

:)>-

OP
OP
texan79&96

texan79&96

Reaction score
for now its the rusty old stock 2b intake. im thinking of gettin the wieland aluminum when i rebuild it. i was also wondering if the holley truck evenger 470 would be a good choice as it will probably become my everyday driver and gas milage is a big concern. the smaller the carb the less gas goin through it right?? im not buildin some hot mud engine or anything and im gonna have low gears so i think the stock 400 in good tune has plenty of power for what i want. in spoiled with my 96 f150 being injected and would love to not have to worry about dying creepin up hills cause its my favorite thing to do.

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
weiand is a good intake I use an edelbrock myself,if ya go 4 barrel just remember to stick with a dual plane intake to keep your bottom end

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
you could buy spring loaded needle and seats,jet extensions,bowl extenders with baffles work too.do a search and read it'll take awhile to find the info you want but it's there.

the 600cfm 4160 is probably your best bet also.not saying the 2bbl sucks but they only have one set of jets and they are bigger in size,a 4bbl 4160 has smaller primaries and the secondaries won't open until the the engine speed was up enough for it to need it.if you floor it the 4bbl won't open until the desired vac is reached which you can set by changing the spring in the sec diaphram.

endless possiablities,here's a link for tuning

http://www.lovefords.org/tech/holley.htm

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lana Kane