Need advice on 302 engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xess17x

Reaction score
i have a 86 bronco with a 5.0 302 engine. as for increasing the hp and performance for my bronco, what whould you guys do to it. i was thinking about putting some life time headers in it, but do u guys have any other sugestions? im a 18 yr old student so the money really aint flowing in right now, lol, so keep that inmind. throw in som ewebsites if u feel like it.

Malacia_Bronco.jpg

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The major thing to do is keep the engine properly tuned. Any vacuum leaks, bad sensors, clogged filters will rob alot of power. You can add a K&N air filter and modify the air intake for better flow, and consider a Flowmaster 40 seires muffler to free up the exhaust. You should be really conservative and careful with any mods that may affect emissions or cause you to fail state inspection. Try doing a search of the forums for ideas, but check with your state D.O.T. regs.

Welcome to Bronco Zone!!!

BLADE262US

Reaction score
If you can find a good set of heads off an 86 5.0 ** from like a lincoln sport coupe they will bring your motor right to life . Otherwise if funding doesnt permit just do like Justshootme84 said and make sure its tuned up really good maybe a k+n air filter . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Seabronc

Reaction score
Welcome to the Zone > . Got mud? :)) Well if money isn't flowing, then be careful what you do other than what Justshootme84 said. Usually adding HP with other than a few simple mods which may get you couple extra, will cost you in the gas milage area. The right set of gears in the front and rear can give you more low end torque but usually at the cost of road economy. Then again that will cost you a few bucks to do as will most any major modification. And again as Justshootme84 said, you need to be aware of how any engine / exhaust system changes effect the emissions. Also the local laws may not allow certain changes. Some changes legally make your truck an off road only vehicle and can cost you if caught with it on the road. You might also want to think of your future kids lungs. :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Good luck,

:)>-

Last edited by a moderator:

Bulldozer

Reaction score
My rig has a 302 it's a lot more powerful than anyone think's, it is a ford so.

OP
OP
X

xess17x

Reaction score
well let me rephrase what i siad, im limited to about $400 or $500 dollars, so if there is anything in that price range that i could do to beef up the hp in my bronco. so the heads of the lincoln will really work?

highboy73

FORDing thru life
Reaction score
a set of 1.7 roller rockers will help($200 or so)

the k&n filter,set of headers,duals,and what everyone else was saying.the heads will fit no prob.

think it all thru and try to get a couple good mods that will help now and set a basis for future ones too.

Justshootme84

Rest in Peace Friend! Never forgotten..
Reaction score
The H.O. (High Output) heads are a good idea, but may excced your budget by the time you're done. I would only do that if rebuilding a motor or if you plan to keep it for a long time.

I had a completely new exhaust put on right when I bought my Bronco. Cost was $550 for a new cat.conv., muffler, pipes and labor. The exhaust work may get you an extra 10-30 HP, while shorty headers give only 5-10 HP. I don't have headers because they can be a pain, and tend to leak after a while. That's why I suggested changing the muffler/exhaust system. I also have a K&N filter element inside the Shaker base for the carb.

Whichever of these mods you choose to add, you can see that they all deal with airflow into and out of the motor.

OP
OP
X

xess17x

Reaction score
well im looking to put on some headers for my 86. i already found the ones at broncograveyard.com. i want them to last forever so im looking for the lifttime ones. if anyone has any good web sites for them or even a good brand please let me kno. thank you

Malacia_Bronco.jpg

Bandit

BANDIT
Reaction score
i have a 86 bronco with a 5.0 302 engine. as for increasing the hp and performance for my bronco, what whould you guys do to it. i was thinking about putting some life time headers in it, but do u guys have any other sugestions? im a 18 yr old student so the money really aint flowing in right now, lol, so keep that inmind. throw in som ewebsites if u feel like it.
17447[/snapback]

I have an upgrade right in youre price range,An MSD off-road ignition,and a Pro-billet distributor...and if you can some heavy duty high quality plug wires.That ignition fires for a longer duration of crank rotation...its suposed to give you a more complete and efficient burn of youre fuel.good luck

fordfanatic75

Reaction score
You do have some other smaller options. these are small inexpensive and your not going to see a huge difference. but every little bit cuonts right? anything you can do to cool your air, your fuel will help. cold air intake, fuel cooling rails. underdrive pulles are an option. and also replacing your belt driven fan with a switched electric one will help.these aren't going to give alot but are all cheep.between 50$ to 100$ each

CarolinaMudder

Reaction score
Yeah, if your looking to beef up HP then you can't go wrong with new headers. You might also try looking on ebay for an item called the "The Juice Box", I haven't used one mut my friend has it and says he can tell a difference. Just a thought.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke