5.8 Engine Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bsingleton50

Reaction score
The stealership wants to replace my ecm harness and ecm on my 96 5.8 Bronco. 135,000 miles on it. It is way expensive. I would rather buy a crate 351 4bbl for drop in (red neck engineering), headers, dual exhaust, etc. Is this feasable? I don't know what all runs off the ecm. Will my trans/guages etc still work?

Thanks.

BLADE262US

Reaction score
Well you undoubtably have an E4OD tranny and it depends solely on that ECU . You can however run a carbed motor in front of an E4OD . Theres a company called baumann engineering that makes a programable stand alone controller for the E4OD so that it doesnt care what motor is in front of it . When I got mine it cost me $400 for the controller and I had to make my own harness . Thats what your looking at . I dont know if the 96 was sequential fire or bank fire . If it was bank fire I see no reason to change any of the harness . Im going through that right now putting a 5.8 in where a 5.0 was on my 89 bronco. If it was sequential fire you just need to rearange I think 4 of the pins to make it work . But there not goona tell you that when they can a ton of cash outta ya for a new harness. What I would do is tell the dealership to get screwed and come here ask lots of questions to people that have gone through this and learn all you can and have the satisfaction of doing it yourself . Electrical issues are not hard just take your time trace them out and make sure you make good connections and youll be just fine . :D /emoticons/[email protected] 2x" width="20" height="20" />

Luxury 4x4

Reaction score
I'll tell ya I've owned a Bronco for 8 years now and I learned almost everything

about the truck on the Web sites...Just takes a little time (Saves money!) :)>-

Txquadhunter

Reaction score
The stealership wants to replace my ecm harness and ecm on my 96 5.8 Bronco.  135,000 miles on it.  It is way expensive.  I would rather buy a crate 351 4bbl for drop in (red neck engineering), headers, dual exhaust, etc.  Is this feasable?  I don't know what all runs off the ecm.  Will my trans/guages etc still work?
Thanks.

17190[/snapback]

The 351w is a 5.8L in 96 they are Mass Air flow motors. before you go the way of dropping in a Carb'd 351 do some research. It can be done but not as cheap as your hoping. like stated you'll need tranny controiler. also the dist. and all wiring will need to be replaced to work with the factory dura-spark systems carb motors used or go aftermarket. baisicly you'll be rewiring the whole truck. (i looked this route a few years back) so i'm going the route of upgrading the older Speed des. system to the MAF EFI like found in your bronco. The stock MAF EFI system can almost handle all the upgrades a Carb'd motor can (heads, cam and such) really carb's are a thing of the past. EFI only way to go. Even my 78 & 79 would be EFI if a factory donnor for the 351m/400 was possible. But they'll do until i can find a truck with a EFI 460 to swap in my price range.

The EFI system is easier then it's made out to be. theres quite a few sites out there to learn about it one is www.fordfuelinjection.com. How many carb'd bronco's ya see where a paper clip, test light or meter will flash codes to tell the problems?

Ground wires and bad concections are #1 causes of bad ECU codes.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke