Steering box upgrades

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

xsbronco

Reaction score
So its been said that running a 38" tire with a dana 44 will be too much for my 79' stock steering box. What upgrades are there out there? Is there a "dana 60" swap out that will be bullet proof? How about bolt on? I don't mind modifying. Can I get something of a 1-ton vehicle. The pump is already I believe....well it's off a 460 engine. Thanks.

freak

Reaction score
I have 38's on mine and I have no problem's with my steering box.Just a ferw leak's I have to fix.

OP
OP
xsbronco

xsbronco

Reaction score
Yeah mine leaks too but i was told it will keep leaking due to tire size.

Ziggy

Reaction score
You could upgrade your steering to a "ram assisted" steering system such as those on the F-250 and F-350 I believe. It is recommended the any time you run tires bigger then 33"-35" tires, you should go to the ram assisted steering set-up.

OP
OP
xsbronco

xsbronco

Reaction score
My next ? is then dealing with the larger tires. The problem seems to be the load delivered against the steering direction from the tire jolting. Wouldn't you be able to fix that with steering dampners?

Ziggy

Reaction score
Steering dampners will only smooth out the steering and reduce the steering wheel from being ****** around in your hand while off-road. Ram assisited steering is run off your power steering pump and the ram will push or pull (assist) the steering linkage and reduce the strain on your normal steering box and frame.

OP
OP
xsbronco

xsbronco

Reaction score
Thanks Ziggy. I saw one on a truck. I will have to look at some after market one cause that thing didn't look like it would flex with the suspension that much.......would it?

texan79&96

Reaction score
what years f250/350 have ram assist steering? what all components would you need to put this setup on a half ton? i wouldnt mind a junkyard ram setup on my bronco....tell me more!

RTM

Reaction score
I use to drive my old bronco 21 miles one way to work every day with 40 inch tires. I never had any problems with the box. I ended mounting some 44's on there but did mostly local driving after that. I had installed 3 steering stablizers.

shipwreck

Reaction score
You could upgrade your steering to a "ram assisted" steering system such as those on the F-250 and F-350 I believe. It is recommended the any time you run tires bigger then 33"-35" tires, you should go to the ram assisted steering set-up.
Is there somewhere to buy that ram assisted steering?

STLKIKN

Reaction score
Pre 76 (I believe) 4x4 f 250 had power assisted ram steering.

In conjunction with a manual box, they used a drag link similar to a Chev or Dodge, with a directional control valve mounted on one end. Similar in operation to a 60s Mustang or Cougar.

The power ram was mounted to the differential, and in turn to the tie rod. In most cases around here, people are trying to retrofit later model power steering to their older trucks.

For new ram assist kits go to

www.agrperformance.com

www.westtexasoffroad.com

79shortbus

Reaction score
Pre 76 (I believe) 4x4 f 250 had power assisted ram steering.In conjunction with a manual box, they used a drag link similar to a Chev or Dodge, with a directional control valve mounted on one end. Similar in operation to a 60s Mustang or Cougar.

The power ram was mounted to the differential, and in turn to the tie rod. In most cases around here, people are trying to retrofit later model power steering to their older trucks.

For new ram assist kits go to

www.agrperformance.com

www.westtexasoffroad.com

23297[/snapback]

A ram only pushes you want a hydro cylindar. But other than that you can go by what they said. the cylindar will mount to your axle and there wont be any probs with flexin less you run outta hose. Hydro assist will help but if you wheel quite abit full hydro is the way to go I have it on one of my broncos and both my jeeps and I'm really happy with it.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke