the dana 60 swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

texan79&96

Reaction score
with a 78-79 f350/f250 snowplow dana 60 and the weld on radius arm perches what do you think it would cost for a shop to make those tabs fit on there if i could bring them one of my 79 d44 housings for reference? would there be any advantages to having them angled up and pointing the frame mounts down ? ill probably end up using the cage arms in the long run though. how are the trac bars attached on the 77-earlier d44s? could that be easily grafted on to the 60? im about to drag a 76-77 f150 4wd out of a field for hopefully a couple hundred bucks. i plan on doubling the t case and was thinking with 4.11s-4.56s i could maybe get by with some bias 38-40s for fun and run 35 bfg all terrain on the road. would the wheels be 16 or 16.5 ? thanks

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
16.5" rims are an odd ball size, most tire mfg's don't make 16.5. Sitck with 16's beadlocked if you plan on switching tires around.

The trac bar mount on the axle is an easy modification to add on the D60.

You can buy axle wedges from Duff that fit the D60 so you can use your existing radius arms that fit the D44. Then your suspension is a straight bolt up. The wedges are slightly shorter due to the larger diameter tube housing. Or you can cut yours off the D44 and grind out the inside mounting area of the wedge until it fits. But its easier just to buy these.

Best way to mount it is to install everything with the wedges loose on the axle. Once everything is in place, truck sits level and the oinion angle is in the location you want, then tac weld the wedges to the axle, uninstall everything so you can weld up the wedges real good and then re-install. You will need a conversion u-joint or upgrade your front dreiveline for the larger yoke on the D60.

Billz4x4z

Reaction score
I run a 38.5x11x16.5 Super swamper bogger on my truck.....and had no problrms gettin the tires.and i have extra 16.5 rims,I also have 315x16x70 stree tires I had couple sets of the 16"r's to

OP
OP
texan79&96

texan79&96

Reaction score
so duff has wedges already shaped to fit right on the dana 60?

Broncoholics

Broncoholics
Reaction score
Last Duff brochure I got had them in there. Give them a call. I think its the easiest and cheapest way of going about the conversion.

Best way is to build a 4 link with coil overs but that gets spendy. Its what I'll do when I win the lotery...