1988 Bronco Eddie Bauer, 351W C6

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88-BRONCO-DAVE

Just bought a 1988 Bronco Eddie Bauer.  Original owner swapped out the 302 w/auto 3 spd for a 351W and C6. My seller (which makes me the third owner) stuck with the 351W and did a full rebuild on it (all stock though) as well as the C6. Not much more than 300 miles put on it since. Garage kept. It has the 4x4 push buttons and auto hubs. (not my first pick but I'm hoping to be able to go shifter and manual  hubs). Also in the deal was another 1988 Bronco that my seller bought years ago from friends (again,  I'm now the third owner) for spare parts when needed (but never needed any). Unfortunately it just sat in the woods for years but all in all, it's got potential for a  restore. My seller says it also has a 351W. I don't know what the spare has for 4x4 engagement or trans. (I wasn't personally at the buy today - my brother, who use to have a 1989 Bronco, and his family friend, and master mechanic, were 4 and 5 hours, resp, away. They lifted the spare Bronco on the trailer with a tractor the seller had, and drove the other on). I have a million questions but I'll wait until I have further conversations with our mechanic and the seller, if need be. Looking forward to getting to know a bunch of you guys.  Thanks,  Dave

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Dave,

WELCOME!

Congrats and it is great to have another 88 as a spare!

Here is the 1988 Bronco Dealer Brochure

Here are the 1989 EVTM, Emissions & Pre-Delivery Manuals, Partial via mrnewland1 (similar to 88, see my Note @ end on this page)  in Google Drive @ https://drive.google.com/drive/mobile/folders/0Bz1eScc6s4raOHd0WlVnMUw4WjQ?usp=drive_web  Slow scrolling so download for the table of contents, etc. 

Free registration for some wiring diagrams (86 through 96) and Technical Service Bulletins, (80 through 96), same as by Ford @ BBB Industries- Premium Alternators, Starters, Power Steering Products | TSB's & Wiring Diagrams

C6 Description  & Operation, Adjustments, Diagnosis & Testing (partial), Disassembly & Assembly, Parts Break-Out Diagram, Hydraulic Control System Diagram , Removal & Installation & Specifications @ http://web.archive.org/web/20090530063649/http://www.thedieselfiles.com/Ford/C6 Automatic tranny.pdf

1356 Electric Shift to Manual Shift Swap in a 95
Source: by Shadofax (TheJuice, The Juice, Mark Z)

1356 Electric Shift to Manual Shift Swap in an 87
Source: by Joey S (Nacho, Stokes, Larry, Stoked) at https://www.supermotors.net/registry/3287/16394-2

1356 Electric Shift to Manual Shift Swap in a 90 (Narrative, no pics)
Source: by Rade btw, very slow to scroll

5 ***** auto lpcking hub swap to Warn® manual & Bearing Replacement w/ Bearing Locknut Torque Settings in a 90; and, Wheel Bearing Locknut Torque Settings for 80-96 MANUAL HUBS, NOT Factory Auto Hubs; Ford Pickups and Bronco; "...Using a lockout spanner (ford # T59T-1197-B or equivalent ) and a torque wrench, tighten the inner bearing adjusting nut to 50 foot pounds while rotating the wheel back and forth and seating the bearing. Back off the adjusting nut approximately 45 degrees. Assemble the lock washer by turning the inner lockout to align the pin with the nearest hole in the lock washer. To lock it, install the outer lock nut and tighten it to 150 foot pounds. Grab the top of the tire with one hand and the bottom of the tire with the other. Move the tire in and out on the spindle. End play should be less than .006 – inch.).." Thanks to 90beater (Topher, Chris)!!!!
Source: by 90beater (Topher, Chris) 

Tire Diameter/Circumference & Air Pressure Differences; "...You will recall that at the beginning of this section, we mentioned that we had made sure that all four tires on our truck were the same size, were worn the same amount, were inflated to the specified pressure and were subjected to reasonable loading. Avoiding driveline windup was the reason for this. Figure 18A shows that tires of even slightly different size roll different distances every revolution. Figure 18B shows that the same effect is true for tires that are the same size but inflated or loaded differently. Operating a 4 x 4 in 4WD with tires of different size or inflation will produce driveline windup, even when driving straight ahead! If the vehicle is being driven in 4WD on dry, hard pavement, the driver will notice drag and may experience the hop, skip, bounce effect as the front or rear wheels release the windup..." in Four Wheel Drive (4X4) General Information, Operation & Troubleshooting TSB 92-1-8 for Bronco, F Series & Ranger (COMPLETE); Includes Electric Shift On The Fly (ESOF) Troubleshooting & Hub Operation; see page 4-6 & Figures
Source: by Ford

●●●

Note; From Historical Facts on 78-96 Broncos by Trent R @ http://www.angelfire.com/wv/fordbroncos/History.html

Excerpt: "...In 1988 Ford again made significant upgrades to the Bronco. New was the M5OD and M5OD-HD manual transmissions. These transmissions featured a .80:1 overdrive and the HD option sported a 5.72:1 first gear. Multi-Port fuel injection (MPI) was added to the 351 cid V-8 engine for 1988. This new motor increased horsepower from 190 at 3,800rpm to 210 at 3,800rpm. The torque was increased from 295 foot pounds at 2,600rpm to 315 foot pounds at 2,800rpm. The introduction of fuel injection also marked the entire motor lineup going to a serpentine belt system. For 1988 the transfer case skid plate was made standard.

The only major change in the Bronco for 1989 was the mid-year standardization for the automatic locking hub. Tip/slide front seats were also added as standard equipment to facilitate rear passenger entry..."

Cya later here Dave!

Al

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
msgsnprtom