lites / wiring

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I have a 93 bronco that I don't drive a lot...   I had to put my 05 f150 in the shop so I fired ole girl up...   pokin around in her last nite I noticed that when I hit the brakes all the lights come on...   im talkin dash, brake, heads, everything...   and the blinkers only flash on the dash with the brake pushed...   im assuming wiring...   im maybe assuming a rat chewed on something...   but where do I start...   weird problem...

DSC03982.JPG

DSC03983.JPG

DSC03984.JPG

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Steve,

Welcome and Thank You for your Service!

Are some of lights dim?

"...If you have a problem when turning on one circuit it causes another to come on partially (dim lights, etc.), check the ground for the part or system that was turned on first. i.e., if you press the brake pedal & the parking lights turn on partially or fully, check the brake lights' ground; This is caused by current going through  brake light bulb filaments & finding a ground in the parking lt. system instead of its own ground..." by my dad

If Bronco was started befire you pressed brake pedal and you turned headlight switch on;

Switch Fires, Part Number SW-2103: "...Over the past two years, this office has experienced fires caused by another potential problem in Ford vehicles. The problem exists within the dimmer portion of the headlight switch in Ford vehicles. The light switch involved is a Model SW-2103. These are the pull out type headlight switches usually located in the lower left corner of the front dash of Ford vehicles. The headlight portion of the switch has two pullout positions, the first for parking lights only, and fully out for headlights and parking lights. The shaft of this pull-out light switch can be turned clockwise and counterclockwise which activates a dimmer switch, lowering and raising the intensity of the lighting in the instrument panels respectively. Fully rotating the shaft counterclockwise past a notch activates the interior lights within the vehicles. The potential problem exists within the dimmer portion of this switch. The dimmer mechanism consists of a metallic resistive coil set inside a ceramic disc positioned over the shaft of the switch. The coil is exposed on its front side away from the passenger compartment. The front side of the coil passes across a contact permitting a current to flow through a certain portion of the coil when the switch is pulled our in its first or second positions. The greater amount of coil through which the current is permitted to pass (clockwise most position) creates the greatest resistance and therefore dims the dash lighting to its lowest intensity. The opposite position provides greatest intensity. Through our investigations, we have found that the coil can fail owing to wear and/or possible material defects or damage. A fractured coil can maneuver itself free of the ceramic disc permitting it to come in contact with the metal bracket which mounts and grounds the switch to the vehicle. When this occurs, a current can flow through a portion of the coil creating high temperatures melting the metal material of the coil and possibly igniting surrounding combustibles. This mechanism has been observed in three separate incidents by this office. Two of these resulted in a fire. The mechanism is precipitated by wear and/or defect in the coil mechanism. If the former is true, we expect there will be an increase in fires caused through this mechanism given an increase in service time. To this date the problem appears to be somewhat limited. However, this particular light switch has been utilized in numerous Ford vehicles. Therefore, a small increase in failure rate owing to age and wear could result in a significant increase in fire losses. The SW-2103 Light Switch Assembly discussed above is reportedly installed in the following Ford vehicles: 1986 -1997 F100, F150, F300; 1990-1994 Explorer; 1987-1994 Ranger; 1987-1990 Bronco II; 1992-1997 Aerostar..." Miesk5 NOTE: No Bronco Listed, but this may be the result of typos or incomplete research by the company.Source: by waltersforensic.com

note, inspect switch connector and pigtail,  may be burnt and ready to catch fire.

headlights92.jpg

G101 front of engine compartment, front of fender apron, Passenger side; mine has 2 small black wires between starter relay & headlight; 

G100 @ LH front of engine compartment, on upper radiator support

Check Instrument Cluster Connector C1 Behind top LH side of I/P, on instrument cluster (A6) Terminal: 14 Color: BROWN

Squirrels enjoy our 96s fuel injector wiring harness on passenger side and build nests on on adjacent rocker cover so inspect large connectors in that area onor near firewall such as the Dash to Engine Bay connector shown below by Steve

connectors93.jpg

See the plastic bag we hang now filled with mothballs, cayenne pepper, peppermint concentrate and lots of apple cider vinegar wrapped in a rag.  We punch small holes in bottonn of bag and towel lets a small drip to occur for a few days. We take bag off before we start it and drive off, of course.Screenshot_20190820-101137.jpg

20190818_152650.jpg

Screenshot_20190820-100955.jpg

Screenshot_20190816-095906.jpg

Attachments

• 20190818_152650.jpg
    20190818_152650.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190820-100955.jpg
    Screenshot_20190820-100955.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190816-095906.jpg
    Screenshot_20190816-095906.jpg
    193.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot_20190820-101137.jpg
    Screenshot_20190820-101137.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 2
OP
OP
dawggg (steve)
Reaction score
I may pop the hood today and see if I can see any damage...   maybe w-d a few ground connections...   I hate wiring problems...

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Look around inner fender for ground wire eyelets that are bolted in,

G100.jpg

Pics by jowens1126

G101.jpg

G101.jpg

G104 location (Drivers side Fender near firewall next to diagnostic connector)G104.jpg 

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke