92' XLT 5.8 Towing Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

griff

Reaction score
I have to move some things across country. Any opinions on whether or not it's doable with a 1992 XLT 5.8L? Basically, it would be towing a 5X8 U-Haul. I have the towing package, it's just that I saw a few concerns online about the axle width of the 5.8L XLT as opposed to the 5.0 (being better according to the chatter). Should I be concerned about attempting it? The vehicle itself is in perfect shape.

Thanks in advance for any advice,

griff

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
The Axle width of the 5.8 is the same as the 5.0. Don't know who was saying those were different.

MAX trailer weight with the 351w is rated for 7100 with 10 to 15% of that being on the ball. If I was you, I would take the time to install air shocks in the rear to help stabilize the Bronco under load. The E4OD is a strong transmission and will work great but you have to turn over drive off. Towing with the 351 isn't bad.

OP
OP
griff

griff

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I think a small trailer with even weight distribution would be the thing. And I'll get those shocks as well. The long distance (Calif. to Virginia) could have some challenges, but if I do it conservatively, it might work. 

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Griff,

Fir more towing info, see 96 Bronco Owner's Guide, Maintenance Schedules & Parts and Accessories by Ford @ https://www.fleet.ford.com/partsandservice/owner-manuals

Note, 96 is same as most earlier years especially 92-95, except for:92 through 95 uses the Electronic Engine Control, version Four (EEC-IV, aka On Board Diagnostics (OBD-I)) engine management computer.96 uses the OBD-II (EEC-V) engine management computer;4WABS (93-96);RABS (87-92);Air Bag (94-96);3 Heated Exhaust Gas Oxygen Sensors in 96 Federal emissions and one more in 96 California Emissions3 ***** Automatic Locking Hubs (Built from May 95 through 96); Spark Plug Wire Routing & Firing Order (The firing order for 1987-1993 5.0Ls is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8. The firing order for 1994- 96 5.0Ls & all 5.8Ls is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.);R134a in 94-96;2-piece Spindle Rolling Diaphragm Seal (RDS) used on 5/95 to 96 Broncos & F Series 1/2-ton 4WD;Ford added Crankshaft Position Sensor, aka misfire detection sensor and the tone ring in 96. The misfire sensor is an electromagnetic inductance coil similar in operation to a camshaft or crankshaft position sensor. A four-point stator, or pulse ring, located behind the crankshaft damper generates an electrical impulse in the sensor at each 90 degrees of rotation. The powertrain control module (PCM) (12A650) monitors the sensor pulses and flags any misfire events. When a specified number of misfires occur within a certain time frame, the powertrain control module will alert the driver to the condition by turning on the CEL.Most 92-95 Speed Density (SD) EFI uses a Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP), a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) & an Air Intake Temperature Sender (ACT) that gives the engine certain volumetric efficiencies over it's RPM range. SD EFI also uses what is called bank fire injection. 4 injectors are fired at one time on each side of the engine (only 2 wires for firing injectors from EEC-IV).Mass Air Electronic Fuel Injection (MAF), aka Sequential Electronic Fuel Injection (SEFI) in all 94 5.0,most 95 5.8 are SD, 95 5.0 & 95 5.8 California models are MAF and all 96s are MAF. Need to verify other Bronco years/engines. Mass Air directly reads the mass of air (or number of molecules of air). By doing this, it can detect the changes in the volume of air, in addition to it's pressure & temperature. Mass air has one separate wire for each injector & fires them twice for every power stroke of the engine. This makes the injector timing more accurate & will help emissions along with power.96 5.8 do not have the Air Injection (AIR), Secondary Air Injection; Pump (Smog Pump), Thermactor Air Bypass (TAB) & Thermactor Air Diverter (TAD) Solenoids; Diverter, Check & Bypass Valves, Cross-Over Tube, etc. But 96 5.0 does have the system.Only 95 5.8L California models & all 96 have the Differential Pressure Feedback (DPFE) Sensor instead of EGR Valve Position (EVP) Sensor.The 96, Vapor Management Valve (VMV) replaces the canister purge valve (CanP valve) used in EEC IV. But the 96 manual still shows CanP valve probably because it was a late addition to the 96 production line.The Speed Control Deactivation Switch (SCDS) in a 93 Bronco is located on the driver side frame rail, but in 94 through 96 it is on the master cylinder.Still researching other differences

husmann

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I have a ‘93 XLT with a 5.8L and the towing package.  Back in 2005 I had a 2” lift, 33s, and Bilstein shocks. I put a Class IV hitch  on it and towed a completely packed and very heavy 6x12 tandem axle U-Haul trailer from Jackson, Mississippi, to Tucson, Arizona. The chassis, engine, and transmission had no problems at all. The Bronco can handle more than you would expect, and I think if you are willing to take your time and not try to keep up with traffic, you should not hesitate to use it. In 2008 I used it to tow the same type trailer with just as much weight from Tucson to Brenham, Texas (about 1,000 miles). It did better than the moving truck we rented, which nearly got killed by bad diesel fuel.  Over the past few years I’ve used it to tow a buddy’s 2006 Air Nautique 226, which is a huge boat. The Bronco is not happy about it, but it can do it. And now I have a 4” lift and 34s and 4:10 dif gears. 

As for the air springs, they would be nice, but not necessary, as long as your shocks are decent. 

As for towing in overdrive, it is not recommended, but I have done it a lot and my E4OD has held up just fine. It depends a lot on the conditions and terrain. I will admit that I am a bit of a risk taker. 

I hope this helps, God bless your move, and don’t apologize for towing massive stuff with your Bronc. 

Derek

OP
OP
griff

griff

Reaction score
Hey, I appreciate the feedback on your towing experience. It helps. The Bronco has gotten me where I've needed to go over the years and more. I won't give up my '92 until it gives up on me!

Quick story, the fuel pump went out once on my way home from work. It was going on midnight and there wasn't any traffic. I was at the top of Topanga Cyn. and coasted downhill for two miles right into my driveway! At the time I thought I blew out the engine because there was smoke coming from under the hood. What a relief that it was the pump!

OP
OP
griff

griff

Reaction score
Big time! But then again, it was my daily driver from 2000-2014, when many of those years gas was averaging $4 a gallon in California. Wouldn't you know when I bought a second car, the prices went down by $1.50 a gallon?!@#$%...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke