FOUND!!! WATER pump pulley needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

project71

Reaction score
The water pump pulley on my 71 Bronco is out of alignment with the crank pulley and alternator pulley causing a lot of belt squeal.. My late brother-in-law told me he had replaced the original 302 motor with another out of a 74 Bronco. New radiator and looks like a new water pump possibly. No power steering. The pulley is 6" diameter and 2 1/2" deep. It looks like I need one 2 3/4"deep to get them to align. Does anyone know where to find a pulley with these dimensions? Or is there another way to remedy this?

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi Project...,

Hmmmm..,   A bit more info please......,  Assuming you're measuring on the vehicle.

1) You might try removing the pulley to be sure there's no "shim" or "Spacer" stuck in there on the nose of the pump.

2) Ford had (as I recall) a couple diff. pumps available for a 302..., some had a longer nose. (could be the longer one in this case)

3) Is it poss. he pulled a (transplanted) 351 from that '74 ...?

4) Is it a 3-hole mount or a 4-hole...?  Some center holes are diff. as well.

5) Wrecking yards have many Ford pulleys.., as do Tomsbroncoparts.com   &  wildhorses4x4.com  

OP
OP
project71

project71

Reaction score
I have pulled pulley. No shim. its definitely a 302. 4 hole with 1/2" center hole. Is the longer nose pump only a 1/4" difference? I have looked in TBP catalogs along with several other catalogs with no success. May have to go to a auto parts store or a junkyard as you suggested.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
 "Is the longer nose pump only a 1/4" difference?"

This I don't know.   

This pulley would be "used" parts-----not shown in catalogs.  Call Toms OR Wildhorses tomorrow. I'm sure they can help.., or send you in the right direction.

Also., do we have the original harmonic balancer/crank pulley on there..? They would know this also.

(I think some had two sheaves, if memory serves)

HTH

Bob

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke