Eddie Bauer running boards

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BBSteal

Reaction score
I am restoring a 1988 Ford Bronco and would love to put some factory Eddie Bauer running boards on it. Does anyone know if running boards from a 1995 F-150 part number F2TS-16472-A & 16473-A will fit and if not could I modify them (shorten or lengthen) to fit Thanks.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo BB,

The F series boards are said to be longer 

.  I never heard of shortening them, but believe it can be done. Broncograveyard does sell 1980-1997 Ford Bronco & Ford Truck Running Board Support Bars

@ 1980-1997 Ford Bronco & Ford Truck Running Board Support Bars https://shop.broncograveyard.com/1980-1997-Ford-Bronco-Ford-Truck-Running-Board-Support-Bars/productinfo/35510/

The bars tend to rust.Have you tried Craigslist? There's almost always people parting them out on there.

For YARD SEARCH on-line, I use;
https://www.hollanderparts.com
A yard that uses Hollander Interchange can search other yards and have it shipped.
"...For over eighty years, Hollander has been making the best tool for fast, interchangeable part matches. The new Edition Hollander Interchange contains more interchangeable options than ever before.
The Hollander Interchange provides auto recyclers and auto collectors, rebuilders, and others with the easiest and most comprehensive solution for identifying interchangeable auto parts..." See their yard Directory @: https://www.hollanderparts.com/SellerDirectory
Can select certain parts
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles
If a specific part, such as the tailgate torsion bar isn't listed, search again for the next higher assembly, such as in this instance, the tailgate.
¤
or
http://www.car-parts.com/
Can select certain parts
Can search by year range, such as 92 through 96 & has best item condition descriptions such as "COVER BAD LEATHER PWR BKT GRY"
Has Vehicle Pics for some vehicles incl. interior/dash, back seat, front & rear and engine bay
¤
http://www.picknpull.com
This is a Company name w/yard locations in various states
Can NOT Select certain parts
¤
http://row52.com/Search
Can NOT Select certain parts
AND Want a Part? It's Easy...
1. You create a Parts Wanted Listing.
2. Parts Pullers respond with offers.
3. You pick the best one.
A Parts Puller gets the parts you need.
¤
For obsolete parts by Ford long version pn:
http://www.partsvoice.com/
http://www.rearcounter.com
http://www.greensalescompany.com 
https://nospartsltd.com
&
For new discounted Ford parts:
https://consumerlink.oeconnection.com/91554453363118850 (suggested by JScatt!)
¤
Stop by a local Ford dealer parts department and ask. They will look it up in the Interchange Guide data base.
The Ford bean counters deleted the public Interchange Guide and Buyer's Guide a few years ago to save their $ & make it more difficult for us to maintain our Broncos.
As an example, here is Ford Motorcraft's buyers guide info for a ""Motorcraft basic pn":
"12A646 is a relay.EEC power, mostly found under the hood next to the fuel pump relay on EFI vehicles. .
RELAY, ELECTRONIC ENGINE CONTROL (ASSEMB 
DY-865 [Universal Relay] 2 Bbl.; E1VB-12A646AA,E3AF-12A646B1A,E3UF-12A6461A1,A2A, B1A,,B2A,E3TF-12A646A1A,A2A,B1A,B2A 
and from the Buyers Guide:
Part No.: DY-865 
Manufacturer: MOTORCRAFT 
Part Type: ELEC ENG CONT ASSY RELAY 
Total No. of Vehicles: 275 
FORD (202) 1983-1994
AEROSTAR (9) 1986-1992
1992 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 
1991 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 
1990 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 
1989 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 
1988 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 
1987 L4-140ci 2.3L F/I Vin A 
1987 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 
1986 L4-140ci 2.3L F/I Vin A 
1986 V6-183ci 3.0L F/I Vin U 

BRONCO (18) 1983-1991
1991 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1991 V8-351ci 5.8L F/I Vin H 
1990 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1990 V8-351ci 5.8L F/I Vin H 
1989 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1989 V8-351ci 5.8L F/I Vin H 
1988 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1988 V8-351ci 5.8L F/I Vin H 
1987 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1987 V8-351ci 5.8L 4 BBL Vin H 
1986 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1986 V8-351ci 5.8L 4 BBL Vin H 
1985 V8-302ci 5.0L F/I Vin N 
1984 V8-302ci 5.0L 2 BBL Vin F 
1984 V8-351ci 5.8L 2 BBL Vin G 
1984 V8-351ci 5.8L 4 BBL Vin H 
1983 V8-302ci 5.0L 2 BBL Vin F 
1983 V8-351ci 5.8L 2 BBL Vin G
ETC."
¤
Pull-A-Part SEARCH INTERCHANGEABLE PARTS INVENTORY, @ https://www.pullapart.com/inventory/...-parts/search/

Handy_andy_cv64 01:08 PM 11-01-2014

Times three on the truck info. That always helps.

El Kabong 02:07 PM 11-01-2014

$350 seems awful high. If you are patient you should find one for less. Around here they seem to run about $50-$100 when they show up on CL.

Did your Bronco originally have an external spare? Part of the reason for the bumper spare carriers is that there is internal bracing for the carrier that isn't there on trucks that didn't originally have the external carrier. The bumper versions also carry more weight without body damage.

Mine was an internal carrier originally. Here are the details about the addition of the external carrier:

Quote:

Originally Posted by El Kabong 
22- My Bronco doesn't have an exterior tire carrier. Can I add one?

Yes, but... 
Broncos that came with a stock external tire carrier have additional supports behind the sheet metal that trucks with internal carriers don't have. If you don't add interior support, the carrier will rip the sheet metal. Some have had trouble with large spares damaging the tailgate even with the stock supports. The strongest solution seems to be a rear bumper with a tire carrier built on it. Several of us have added the stock type spare carrier, with various results. If you add a stock external carrier, you'll need to add support inside both the tailgate & the fender. 

I added an external carrier to my 90. It has been ok so far. I carry a 33" BFG m/t on an aluminum rim, so it is not as heavy as some spares. I wheel it, but I'm not crazy with it. No jumping. I can see some flex in the quarter panel when the spare is all the way open. I am always careful when it's opened. It seems solid & tight when it's closed. It is somewhat misaligned in that the rubber block at the bottom hits before the latch. I think it keeps it tighter & may prevent damage. I also kept the interior spare carrier. It's pretty much out of the way with no spare it, gives me something to lash to, & makes it easy to carry 2 spares on the trail (Some guy named Tom told me early on I should always have 2 spares 
toothless.gif
). 

For the tailgate, you probably want to use the stock support for inside the tailgate. It's just way too easy to install the stock brace to even consider making one. It has to tie into the structure inside of the tailgate to distribute the load. It can be unbolted from one truck & bolted into the next. If you add a carrier to a Bronco that never had one, use that support. 

Here's a pic of the tailgate support (Pic borrowed from Dustball, the last I heard he's still selling this part). The top is at the left. You can see the 3 holes for the latch. The other holes mount to the structure inside of the tailgate.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dustball 
tailgatesparesupport.jpg

There is also a support inside the fender, but it can't be removed from a good truck without a lot of work/damage. It's better to get that part from a truck that's being parted out, or to make a new one. If you use the stock fender support, you may have to cut it to fit it into place. 

My internal fender supports are made from 3/16 plate, bent to fit. They are each bent twice with 2 flats that contact the fender at the bolt holes, & a center portion that doesn't contact around the curve. The edges are ground round, to try to keep from them punching through. They don't connect to each other or to the existing internal bracing like the stock brace does, but it would be stronger if they did. I may still modify them to do so.

It's easier to make the supports to fit the shape & hole pattern of the carrier hinge brackets. The hinges are the same shape as the fender, & it's much simpler to work with the hinges on the bench than trying to bend the steel to match the truck. 

Here is a sideways view of the stock support inside the rear fender from Mickaila's Bronco build.

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickaila 
Here is an overall view, again, ITS UP SIDE DOWN, as you can see the top portion of the panel (where the soft top sits) on the ground presently:
attachment.jpg

And a shot through the taillight opening of one of my homebuilt braces (It's getting rusty in there, it should have been painted. Even inside of the quarter panel in California 
doh0715.gif
). You can see how it isn't formed to the fender at the curve, but takes a straight line across.
100_1095.jpg

Be aware that the design of the latch changed (I think the break is between 89 & 90, but I'm not sure). The older ones have a long release lever & sort of a hook strike, while the newer ones have a short release handle & a latch mechanism similar to the doors. Make sure that the strike you buy matches your carrier. 
brownbag.gif

My experience is with a 90. I have heard that the hinge brackets are a different shape to match the rear fenders of 78-79s, 80-86s, & 87-96s, so be sure to use the matching hinge brackets for your fenders. I have also heard that the carriers themselves will swap between 78-79s, 80-86s & 87-96s if you use the correct hinge brackets, but don't know that personally.

They also went from 2 holes mounting the latch to 3 at some point. The 2 & 3 hole parts may work with each other, but you might have to drill a 3rd hole & add a nut behind. My internal tailgate brace had only 2 holes. They matched 2 of the strike holes, & I drilled the 3rd.

Here's an earlier strike (89 & before?):
100_6608.jpg

100_6604.jpg

Somewhere there's a pic of the later strike (90 & later?) When I find it I'll add it.

III%er 12:02 AM 11-04-2014

I am just missing the carrier and I have to drill and tap or easy out one hole. When I repair my tailgate I will see what I can do to beef up the support on the tailgate. It looks like the damage on the top of the gate is from having spare tire plus years of rain getting in there. I keep looking for the carrier and hopefully I find one, but I don't need it till after Christmas, because that's when I am doing the body work.

dlogeston 03:49 PM 11-06-2014

I like jeffs bronco grave yard. But I find a lot of good stuff on ebay.

GetBent4x4 07:29 AM 11-09-2014

row52.com

Sponsored Links

You May Like

2019 Audis Worth Considering, and WhyKelley Blue Book

​

20 Historical Photos They Dare Not Show You In SchoolSoGoodly

Common Signs of Psoriatic ArthritisPsoriatic Arthritis | Search Ads

Michigan Brothers Unearth 220 Year Old TreasureOmgCheckItOut

Beautiful Cross Breed Dogs That Will Leave You Wondering Why People Still Buy Dogs From BreedersLivestly

20 gardening hacks that will make your neighbours jealousTip Tricks

The Wild Secrets Buyers Learned About Their Homes After the Deal Had ClosedRealtor.com

5 Luxury Cars So Amazing You Won't Believe They Cost Under $50kStuff Answered

Reply Up