Body mounts, bushings and suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I got the rig back from the shop and now have a full list of items I am going to start on, at the top of the list is suspension, bushings and body mounts. My guess is that it would make sense to do all at one time. Does anyone have experience or advice on the order of changing this out? Also best to use rubber or polly for the body mounts? I don't want the rubber to deteriorate like the current, but also want a smooth ride. Thanks!

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
As to  rubber  or poly..,   Rubber is a smother ride & better flex.  It lasts 20-30 yrs.   Poly is a bit stiffer & lasts longer....,  It's owners choice.

Body mounts the same.  However, they don't have to be done at the same time as suspension. Whole different job.

Suspension can be a bit dangerous..!!   You'll need plenty of jacks & jack-stands, wheel chocks, etc, safety is key. However, it's not hard, just take your time.

What's wrong with your current suspension..?    Looks like you already have a lift........

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
The current shocks and leaf springs look like they need an update, I've attached some pictures. Might be a ridiculous question, but is there a way to tell if this suspension has a lift?

20190331_155226.jpg

20190331_155243.jpg

20190331_155256.jpg

20190331_155314.jpg

20190331_155331.jpg

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
You can measure the distance between the ground & frame compared to a stock rig...., the top & bottom of the coil spring seats. Dist. between the rear axle & the frame, etc.

Also, ask auto parts store what the fully extended length is for a "stock" front shock is & compare to yours fully extended.

The body mounts aren't blown out (at least the one showing) ..., that surface cracking is normal.

BTW., the radius arm "donut" bushings can be poly or rubber. (rubber flexing better)  

From that front end view., it doesn't look like it's been lifted.     Rear leaf springs look stock with maybe an overload bottom leaf.

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
ALSO, if you do decide to "do a lift" ---- go with the 11 pack rear leaf kits. That's what I did & the ride is as good or better than stock.

LIKE   www.tomsbroncoparts.com     or www.wildhorses4x4.com        

Keep in mind a lift brings about other changes..,  several things like front end alignment, caster,  drag-link, rear-end/driveshaft angle, etc.

Sometimes the brake lines & emergency brake cables need changing.

It's all doable.., just takes time & patience.....

B

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke