Paint and body work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pj31704

Reaction score
I currently have the Bronco in a shop for some new installs, also hoping to finish it off with paint and body work. The current paint has always been a little rough in some spots. After speaking to them and checking some troubled spots it looks like there may be more rust than expected. The seam between the upper and lower quarter panels has quite a bit of bondo, after removing some the metal has a good amount of seperation/holes throughout the weld. Also rusted wheel wells and lower tailgate which I expected. There are areas with very rough spots, in my mind it could be someone just painted right over the previous paint. Or worse it could be pitting from more rust. 

Any recommendations on a route to take? Could most of the exterior panels be salvaged or start looking at new body panels? I am not looking for it to be show quality, but would like it to be presentable and last. Considering any route will most likely be expensive. Thanks for any input or past experiences.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

Expect the worse such as rust.

I bought the 96 Bronco 1/4 panel patch panels from MILL SUPPLY, Cleveland, OHTheir body parts On-line Store site is rustrepair.com.They are primed and of 18 gauge steel - exact fit around wheel well arch and packaged very well for shipping.Upper wheel arch area 16"H x 40"L 87-98 $29.00 & RHfrom the horizontal crease below camper top down to wheel arches and around the archesexact fit = was able to weld w/no adjustments to it or the 1/4Order their Catalog(s)Printed Catalogs do not list price though.FORD TRUCKS PDF PAGES 86-97 Aerostar 66-77 Bronco 78-79 Bronco 80-86 Bronco 87-91 Bronco 92-96 Bronco 84-90 Bronco II 

https://www.millsupply.com/auto-body-rust-repair-panels/ford-pickup-suv-van/ford-bronco/66-77-ford-bronco/

Or,

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Steel-Body/products/124/

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-body-panels

GL!

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. Got a call today from restoration shop. Their recommendation is purchase all new panels, hood, tailgate and windshield frame. Concern of theirs is the labor to make these items paintable and look good will cost more than new panels. Does anyone have an idea on this cost?

They are quoting $12,000 for all labor and paint, I buy the parts. If they come across unexpected areas of repair they will absorb cost. Thanks

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Hi PJ..,

Hard to tell W/O seeing it. There's an old school repair called "leading-in" .   That's what all the repairs were done with 'til "Bondo" came to be.

Really bad places can be cleaned & patched if the structural strength is still OK.  You can't do the Bondo  patch work yourself..??

That's a lot of $$ ...!    What's your intended use for this rig..?  If it's out 4x4'n ..., a perfect paint/finish isn't all that necessary.

I've patched/painted many & I'm NO expert..!!  Nobody ever noticed.  Mostly learned as I go.

B

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
I have zero experience with body work. My other concern is the longevity. The previous bondo was falling apart. I am willing to spend the money if it makes sense. Does it sound correct for that price to pull all old panels off, put new on and paint? I know there is a good amount of labor involved, I just have no good reference point. 

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
M5 put these addresses in for you.

If you talk to Toms Bronco Parts   and   www.wildhorses4x4.com    maybe even Bronco graveyard...., 

They've done this type of work (labor) & can give ya an indication as to a fair price (or ballpark) for your rig.  I would call them.

I myself haven't a clue what these services cost these days.

Do keep us posted as to what you find out........

B

https://shop.broncograveyard.com/Steel-Body/products/124/

https://www.tomsbroncoparts.com/category/66-77-bronco-body-panels

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Thanks! I'll reach out to them. I'll keep y'all updated

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
Spoke to Wild Horses and they seemed to think it was a great price for the work involved. I have identified most items I will need, but I am sure there may be items we will run into. Does anyone have a good diagram of the body panel breakdown? 

Also the quarter panels seem like they will be a headache, my guess is there are not upper and lower which are all in one? Thanks again for all the help

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
Most panels are lined with a sealant type gasket & then spot welded.The welds have to be punched or drilled out.

Sure seems like a lot of $$   ...... I might be tempted to get a new fiberglass body.

Bronco Graveyard has a sheet metal  "body blow-up" in their catalog.

OP
OP
pj31704

pj31704

Reaction score
After pricing out all of the panels and miscellaneous items that would be needed, plus shipping...lots of shipping I decided to hold off on this project. I think I will attempt to see what I can accomplish myself. There will be plenty of questions I'm sure. I appreciate all of the help, and will keep everyone posted of the progress.  

Bully Bob

TOP GUN
Reaction score
TKS for the up-date PJ..,

I think that's a good decision.  Cleaning up the "bad spots" ----- then treating some areas with rust-stop chemicals ---- then re-bondoing is a common repair.

On line or even library books can get you started.  

If this was to be a "show truck" then spending big $$$$ would likely be the path to take.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke