Calipers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am having problems with my 96 after I put reman. calipers with steel pistons it pulls to left after it gets hot, do I need to go back to OE calipers with the phinolic pistons, I have replaced the hoses as well.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo George,

• Brakes Pull to One Side

• Unequal air pressure in tires.

• Grease or fluid on linings. Contaminated linings.

• Improper size or type of lining on one wheel.

• REPLACE with correct brake shoe and lining in sets.

• Improper size rear wheel cylinder on one wheel.

• REPLACE with correct rear wheel cylinder.

• Stuck or seized pistons in rear wheel cylinders or seized disc brake calipers.

• Restricted brake lines or hoses.

• REPAIR or REPLACE as required.

• Insufficient release of disc brake caliper due to lack of lubrication.

• LUBRICATE the caliper rails and inner knuckle shoe groove (F-150 only).

• Insufficient clearance of inner brake shoe.

Silicone Brake Caliper Grease TSB 98-5A-13 for 89-96 Bronco & F Series, etc. Source: by Ford

Recalls for '80-96 Broncos & F-series

TSB 98-5A-13 NEW SPECIFICATION - Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound to be used for Disc Brake Caliper Slides
Publication Date: MARCH 18, 1998

FORD: 1984-1994 TEMPO 
1984-1996 MUSTANG, THUNDERBIRD 
1985-1996 CROWN VICTORIA, ****** 
1986-1996 TAURUS 
1989-1996 PROBE 
1994-1996 ASPIRE 
1995-1996 CONTOUR
LINCOLN-MERCURY: 1982-1996 CONTINENTAL 
1984-1994 TOPAZ 
1984-1996 COUGAR 
1985-1996 GRAND MARQUIS 
1986-1996 SABLE, TOWN CAR 
1987-1989 TRACER 
1991-1994 CAPRI 
1991-1996 TRACER 
1993-1996 MARK VIII 
1995-1996 MYSTIQUE
LIGHT TRUCK: 1983-1996 RANGER 
1986-1996 AEROSTAR 
1990-1996 BRONCO, ECONOLINE, F SUPER DUTY, F-150-350 SERIES 
1991-1996 EXPLORER 
1993-1996 VILLAGER 
1995-1996 WINDSTAR 
MEDIUM/HEAVY TRUCK: 1990-1991 C SERIES 
1990-1996 F & B SERIES 

ISSUE: The use of petroleum-based grease as a lubricant in servicing disc brakes is no longer acceptable because it may be incompatible with the rubber material used in the disc brake system. If petroleum-based grease is used to lubricate any part of the disc brake system, it could cause rubber parts to swell if lubricant contacts the rubber material.

ACTION: Refer to the following Servicing Procedures for details.

DISC BRAKE SERVICING
CAUTION: DO NOT USE PETROLEUM-BASED SERVICE GREASE (SUCH AS FORD DISC BRAKE CALIPER SLIDE GREASE D7AZ-19590-A) TO LUBRICATE DISC BRAKE CALIPER SLIDE PINS OR RUBBER DUST BOOTS. PETROLEUM-BASED GREASE MAY CAUSE EPDM RUBBER TO SWELL.
When servicing any disc brakes, lubricate necessary components by applying Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (D7AZ-19A331-A (Motorcraft WA-10)) or an equivalent silicone compound meeting Ford Specification ESE-M1C171-A. Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for specific service details.

DRUM BRAKE SERVICING 
When servicing drum brakes, apply Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (D7AZ-19A331-A (Motorcraft WA-10)) or an equivalent silicone compound meeting Ford Specification ESE-M1C171-A to the contact points between the brake shoes and the drum backing plates for lubrication. 
NOTE: DISC BRAKE CALIPER SLIDE GREASE D7AZ-19590-A SHOULD NO LONGER BE USED FOR DISC BRAKE CALIPER SLIDE LUBRICATION.

OTHER SERVICE APPLICATIONS
Existing inventory of D7AZ-19590-A may be used for all other Service Manual procedures. Once material is exhausted, all vehicle procedures specifying Disc Brake Caliper Slide Grease (D7AZ-19590-A) should use Silicone Brake Caliper Grease and Dielectric Compound (D7AZ-19A331-A).

PART NUMBER : PART NAME 
D7AZ-19A331-A : Silicone Brake Caliper Grease And Dielectric Compound

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES: NONE 
SUPERSEDES: 95-21-02

Brake Pulls, Left or Right in 95-02 Bronco, E 250, E 350; 95-97 F 200/250 & 95-98 F 300/350; "...Some owners may comment about an annoying pull to either side while applying the brakes. Preliminary inspection of the vehicle includes checking tires for correct pressures and wear patterns, chassis and base brake integrity. Test drive the vehicle to verify the condition. If a pulling condition exists, check the brake pad to caliper bracket clearance. It is necessary for the inner and outer brake pads to slide unrestricted along the horizontal caliper bracket clips. If the pads are restricted in their travel, remove the old caliper bracket clips and replace with new. Clean the caliper bracket of metal fragments, burrs and rust. Apply TDBL-2 Lubricant to the caliper bracket, hardware and pad ears. Our D655 disc brake platform steel is being produced with fine blanked steel. This steel plate will hold the dimension of the plate ears to critical tolerances. It should be noted that many caliper bracket clearances are not consistent in dimension due to wear, rust build up and hardware corrosion. Fitting the pad to caliper bracket is essential in this application. This ftting process is common to many braking systems. Fixed calipers require unrestricted movement of the brake pads. Floating and Sliding calipers require free movement of disc brake pads and unrestricted movement of the caliper-to-caliper bracket, or in many cases caliper to knuckle. These areas must be cleaned and free of rust, and debris. Replace the caliper bracket clips and lubricate all metal to metal contact areas. A light coating of lubrication should be applied to the brake pad shim, and metal to metal contact areas. Do not lubricate or contaminate the friction material surface..."

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
I have done the hoses the bearings and new calipers. When I checked the wheel temp the left was 240 and the right side was 180, I had the calipers rechecked and lubed and the rear adjusted and checked. Would the caliper with steel pistons have anything to do with it?  I guess when it starts up again I will jack it up and see witch one is dragging .  Thanks   Note I have bypassed the ABS system so that is out of play!

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
I have thought that the bearings may be it they are all new and when it pulls you can jab the brakes and it will straighten up for a wile ?  Calipers have been cleaned again and greased and the rear brakes have been adjusted. I guess its going to be a wild goose chase.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo George,

Unfortunately it's a step-by-step process. 

I have another possibility under "Restricted brake lines or hoses." Were any hoses clamped with vise grips?  

Are any hoses twisted or  hard or soft?  See attached.

¤

Drift or Pull While Braking TSB 98-5A-46 for 88-96; Radius Arm Replacement; "...A steady state drift to the left or pull to the left while braking may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by the negative caster split (caster variation with less caster on the left side versus the right side) being out of specification. Determine vehicle alignment readings. If negative caster split is out of specification (0 �4 degrees), select the appropriate right side radius arm to bring caster split back to specification. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details. CURRENT PRODUCTION RADIUS ARMS HAVE 1.2 DEGREE (BRONCO) OR 1.5 DEGREE (F-150) CASTER BIAS BUILT INTO THE RIGHT SIDE RADIUS ARM. REPLACEMENT OF THE RADIUS ARMS WILL NOT AFFECT CAMBER. 1.Determine the amount of caster split the vehicle has by measuring the caster of both front wheels on an alignment machine. 2.Subtract the left front wheel's caster figure from the right front wheel's caster figure to determine caster split. If this figure is positive (left side caster figure is smaller than the right side figure), then the vehicle is exhibiting negative caster split and this procedure will apply to the vehicle. Caster split of �4 degrees is within specification. 3.Obtain the paint color marking on the right side radius arm (white or yellow). Yellow paint markings represent a caster bias of 1.2 degrees; White paint markings represent a caster bias of 1.5 degrees. 4.Subtract the caster split figure obtained in Step 2 from the caster bias figure obtained in Step 3. EXAMPLE: If the result from Step 2 is 0.5 degree, and you have a white striped right side arm (1.5 degrees caster bias), subtract the caster split result of 0.5 degree from the caster biased arm of 1.5 degrees. The final result is 1.0 degree. 5.Select a replacement right side radius arm based on your result of Step 4 from the following chart (choose replacement arm which most closely matches your Step 4 result): 6.Install the new right side radius arm. Refer to the appropriate Bronco/F-150 Service Manual, Section 04-01B, for service procedure on right side radius arm replacement. 7. Recheck caster and determine that caster split is within specification..." 

Screenshot_20190211-075652.jpg

Screenshot_20190211-080150.jpg

OP
OP
George Coleman
Reaction score
So at this point the braking is doing well. Now I have Lean codes its all ways something with this Bronco!!!!!!!!!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Utahstroke