quick wheel question (or two)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

diymirage

Reaction score
hey guys 

right now i have 295/75-16s on the bronco (it an 87 i only use as a plow truck) 

i got a lead on a set of BFG A/Ts in 33/10.5-15s on steel rims 

(with them being over an inch narrower, im sure they will plow much better then the slicks i have on there now)

the guys said he had bought them for a 74 Jeep CJ, so the bolt pattern should be 5X5.5 , just like the bronco 

the wheels look like aftermarket wheels, so im sure they are the biggest centerbore possible, but just for the record, what centerbore do i need?

and can i use the same lugnuts on the steels wheels as i have been using on the aluminums? 

anything else to consider ? (im still waiting to hear back on the backspacing) 

00u0u_cCyS1O0zX08_600x450.jpg

01212_d4c43quRfsb_1200x900.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo diy,

Tried to reply yesterday, but my Comcast stopped, then got error messages here, so...

See http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/744829

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/910883

& 

https://www.roadkillcustoms.com/wheel-bolt-pattern-cross-reference/5x5.5-wheel-bolt-pattern-5x139.7mm-5x5.50-inches/#Hub_Center_Bore

"Bore 3.45 inches is the rear when I had custom axleshafts built. front is the same." By Kingfish

or measure the hole in your spare. I personally would trust my own numbers.

https://www.4wheelparts.com/a/tire-wheel-package-guide-wheel-offset-backspacing

I lost all my back spacing info when my German Host comoany took my annual fee and ran.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm pretty sure the rims I have now are 4 inches of backspace, the centerbore on my spare seems to be 3.5 inches 

I'm sure the wheels I'm looking at are aftermarket ones, so the centerbore I expect to be quite large 

Can I use the same lug nuts as I have for my aluminum wheels?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo diy,

I don't know. Stop by a mom and pop tire store and ask.  I will look in my 96 Owners Manual, will post if I find anything relevant.

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

CrazyBRONCOguy 04:18 PM 02-24-2016 wrote:

"The lug nuts you have for your wheels should work fine with that steel wheel. The Ford steel wheels have the taper on them, as to the factory aluminum ones. I had a f-150 that I have had each on without issue"

JScatt 05:10 PM 02-24-2016

"Quoted:

Originally Posted by Mikey350 
"All my Bronco's have used the same 1/2 x 20 TAPERED SEAT lugnuts. I have/had the premium wheels on all of them, and the spare was ALWAYS a steel wheel rather than the aluminum rim
(The factory lugs have a thin sheetmetal shell over a steel lugnut, FoMoCo doesn't recommend using an impact wrench on those lugs, because if you do, the sheetmetal shell will loosen,and eventually fall off.)"

Exactly this^^^. 
All the factory wheels used the 1/2-20 tapered nuts prolly for the last billion years or so."

But the new wheels need to looked at by a tire/wheel shop for the lug nut type.

OP
OP
diymirage

diymirage

Reaction score
thanks mieks 

i picked the wheels up this morning and everything went on smoothly 

the lugnuts i have i bought a while ago 

they have the proper taper on them, and are solid, not the ridiculous capped ones ford used 

it turns out the aluminum rims i had werent stock to begin with, and they have a larger center bore then my spare, but it is the same a the steelies i bought, so the centercaps swapped over 

i torqued them  to 85 foot pounds, sound about right?

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo,

"Evenly tighten 1/2-20 lug nuts to 74-133 lb-ft

NOTE: Torque specifications are for clean, dirt- and paint-free, dry bolt and nut threads. Never use oil or grease on studs or nuts."

by Ford