Cab power (windows/hvac/radio) staying on after shutting off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slygh1993

Reaction score
So i have a 96 bronco eddie bower thats mostly stock other than lift, tires, gears, cold air intake and exhaust. Just recently i noticed my radio was staying on after shutting the truck off.. but i didn't pay to much mind to it because the radio is old and has always given me problems..but on a rainy day i noticed my windshield whipers stayed on. After about a month of this going on i went to start the truck yesterday and the battery was dead (2 month old 1000CCA battery) so i know there is a constant drain on the battery somewhere.. only reason my dome light isnt staying on is because its burnt out.. i havent been able to find much info on this on the internet and electrical is not my strongest.. any help would be appreciated

20180624_085958.jpg

miesk5

96 Bronco 5.0
Staff member
Reaction score
Yo Slygh1993,

Nice Bronco! We did a lot of beach surf fuishing with our 96 too, fun times!

Accessories that fail to operate with the key in RUN, or that remain on when the key is turned off, may be the result of a misadjusted ignition switch rather than a malfunctioning ignition switch. 

Test the ignition system mechanical operation by rotating the ignition switch lock cylinder through all positions of the ignition switch. The movement should feel smooth with no sticking or binding. The ignition system should return from the START position back to the ON position without assistance (spring return). If sticking or binding is encountered, check for the following:
burrs on the ignition switch lock cylinder
binding ignition switch lock cylinder
shroud rubbing against ignition switch lock cylinder
burrs or foreign material around the rack-and-pinion actuator in the housing of the ignition switch lock cylinder
insufficient **** on actuator
binding ignition switch
When your ignition key is turned to Start then let go does it have the usual "springiness" to run?

The ignition switch, mounted inside column's shroud is where the spring-back is provided, but actuator(s) is often damaged.. Ensure switch is securely mounted first.Switch Removal & Installation in a 96 from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty, F-Super Duty Motorhome and Bronco Workshop Manual;"... Install the ignition switch into the column actuator hole. It may be necessary to move the ignition switch back and forth slightly to align the ignition switch mounting holes with the lock cylinder housing threaded holes. Install retaining screws. Tighten to 6-8 Nm (53-71 lb-in)..."

Parasitic Current Drain Test by Ford; "...

Remove Negative the cable from Battery & place an ammeter in-line set to the 10A range.

Isolate circuit causing current drain by pulling out one fuse after another while reading the display.

Current reading will drop when the fuse on the bad circuit is pulled.

Reinstall fuse and test components (including connectors) of that circuit to find defective component(s).

Typically, a drain of approximately one amp can be attributed to an engine compartment lamp, glove compartment lamp, or luggage compartment lamp staying on continually. Other component failures or wiring shorts may be located by selectively pulling fuses or disconnecting fuse links to pinpoint the location of the current drain. When the current drain is found, the test lamp will go out or the meter reading will fall to an acceptable level. If the short is still not located, after checking all the fuses and fuse links, the drain may be due to the generator. The current reading (current drain) should be less than 0.05 amps. If it exceeds 0.05 amps it indicates a constant current drain which could cause a discharged battery. Possible sources of current drain are vehicle lamps (underhood, glove compartment, luggage compartment, etc.) that do not shut off properly. If the drain is not caused by a vehicle lamp, remove the fuses from the interior fuse junction panel, one at a time, until the cause of the drain is located. If drain is still undetermined, remove fuses one at a time at the main fuse junction panel to find the problem circuit. Check for current drains on the battery in excess of 50 mA with all the electrical accessories off and the vehicle at rest. Current drains can be tested with the following procedure;

DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS TEST ON A LEAD-ACID BATTERY THAT HAS RECENTLY BEEN RECHARGED. Do not crank the engine or operate accessories that draw more than 10A. You could blow the fuse in the meter. Many computers draw 10 mA or more continuously. Use Rotunda 88 Multimeter 105-R0053 or equivalent between the battery positive or negative post and its respective cable. NOTE: Steps 1-5 correspond to the numbers in the following illustration. Insert the test leads in the input terminals shown. Turn switch to mA/A DC. Disconnect battery terminal and touch probes as shown. Isolate circuit causing current drain by pulling out one fuse after another while reading the display. Current reading will drop when the fuse on the bad circuit is pulled. Reinstall fuse and test components (including connectors) of that circuit to find defective component(s)..." from 1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual; Source: by Ford

/monthly_08_2011/post-3816-0-32883700-1312802714_thumb.gif

Test Conclusion; The current reading (current drain) should be less than 0.05 amps. If it exceeds 0.05 amps it indicates a constant current drain which could cause a discharged battery. Possible sources of current drain are vehicle lamps (underhood, glove compartment, luggage compartment, etc.) that do not shut off properly or brake lights.

If the drain is not caused by a vehicle lamp, remove the fuses from the interior fuse junction panel, one at a time, until the cause of the drain is located. If drain is still undetermined, remove fuses one at a time at the main fuse junction panel to find the problem circuit.

Electronic Drains Which Shut Off When the Battery Cable Is Disconnected

Repeat Steps 1 through 6 of the voltmeter drain testing.

Without starting engine, turn ignition on for a moment and then off. If applicable, wait one minute for the illuminated entry lamps to turn off.

Connect the voltmeter and read the voltage.

Test Conclusion; The current reading (current drain) should be less than 0.05 amps. If it exceeds 0.05 amps after a few minutes, and if this drain did not show in previous tests, the drain is most likely caused by a malfunctioning electronic component. As in previous tests, remove the fuses in interior fuse 

Just in case, See Ignition Switch Continuity Test in a 96 Bronco by Ford in 96 Bronco Workshop Manual, partial 

Section 11-05: Steering Column Switches

1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty, F-Super Duty Motorhome and Bronco Workshop Manual

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
k14670b.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Skitter302

Staff member
Reaction score
^ That was my first suggestion.

OP
OP
S

Slygh1993

Reaction score
Appreciate the responses fellas.. im planning to tackle this some time this week. Ill check back in with what i find

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sgariffo